This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Xserver problem

Hello. I am just starting to learn linux (got bored of windows vista) and i downloaded the Dapper DVD. I want to run kubuntu as a live environment, just to see if it suits my needs. The only problem is that i can only start the x server when i enter Safe graphical mode...If i enter the default kubuntu configuration, everything loads up fine, but xserver doesn't start. If i enter startx, i get something like:

(ee) No devices detected
    X server error:
    No screens found..

I am using an Ati radeon X1600 board on PCI-E. So to sum up, Kubuntu works in safe mode, but it doesnt work in the normal mode...What can i do?

Thanks in advance

Re: Kubuntu Xserver problem

Dapper is alpha software, at about the same stage of development as Vista. The problem for you is ithat, if this is your first experience with linux, you can't tell which problems are due to failure of the software or failure to use the appropriate command. I'd suggest learning linux with Kubuntu Breezy which is (almost) guaranteed to work.

That said, my guess is that your problem has to do with either, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or your device drivers. I don't know if the version of Dapper that you dl'd includes the ATI retricted modules and the fglrx module. There's probably a significant warning (WW) somewhere above the (EE), however there are a reasonable number of WW's even on working systems. Try the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Xserver problem

As you can see in this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=4641.0 Kubuntu Dapper (at least 6.06) needs to be manually setup for the graphics card to work properly when using one of the newer ATI cards (8000 series and up). This requires a normal installation to your harddrive I'd say.
      But because Linux ATI drivers are always behind the newest cards I do not know if your x1600 card would already work by using the method described in the other thread.

Comment

Working...
      X