This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot install cd

I've burned the Kubuntu Dapper Drake Flight 6 install CD several times now, with different settings, and different versions of k3b. (On SuSE 10.0)
    I even tried with both an image downloaded directly, and one downloaded through the torrent, but they still won't boot on my computer.
    The md5sum of the iso is correct, and I even had k3b verify the data. Tried burning at a safe speed (8x), and with a different sort of medium.

The CD-Rom spins up and I get the message "booting from CD" from the bios, and then it starts grub from the harddrive.

I tested my other bootable CDs here, the Koraa Live CD and the SuSE install CD, and both started as usual - so it's not a hardware error. Both my DVD-Rom and my CD/RW can still be used to boot from CD.

Someone on #ubuntu+1 at freenode said others had reported the same problem.
    If it makes any difference I'm on an nforce2 system...

Any ideas?

Re: Can't boot install cd

I can't boot the CD as well. produced a couple of coasters in the process.
    Something is wrong with the ISO.

Comment

I am having exactly this problem.

Comment

Hmm but it's working fine on my other PC. Weird. I tried removing GRUB on the original computer i had the problem with using fixmbr and it still won't boot, but will boot fine from a Windows CD. Odd.

Comment

A little update:

The Cd boots from my neighbour's laptop, so errors in the download or burn is not the case. Seems there's a bug there somewhere making it incompatible with some people's computers.
          Does a thread here count as a bug-report, or is there somewhere else we should report this?

Comment

Seconded. This ISO just doesn't want to boot on certain machines.

Comment

Same problem here. Can't boot the CD.

Comment

This is a bit strange, my Flight 6 install disk booted on one computer and failed to boot on another using the same CD-ROM drive on both (some drives are pickier than others regarding burned CDs :P)

The flight 6 liveCD booted on both computers.

I used the smb.bin boot floppy image (available on the CDs) on the computer that wouldn't boot from the install CD and chose to boot from CD and it worked just fine...go figure

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

I used the smb.bin boot floppy image (available on the CDs) on the computer that wouldn't boot from the install CD and chose to boot from CD and it worked just fine...go figure
                  How do you make the floppy image into a boot disk on floppy?

Comment

To make the boot floppy with sbm.bin, issue this command:

dd if=/PATH/TO/sbm.bin of=/dev/fd0

(Replace /PATH/TO with wherever you have the image.)
                    Still wondering if this problem shouldn't be reported somewhere official. I'll refer to this thread when I do.
                    We shouldn't have to resort to floppies when our systems support booting from CD...

Comment

Update:

Booting with the floppy worked here, it allowed me to boot the CD and do the install. Only problem was that it wouldn't mount my ntfs partitions, but after setting them to not mount, everything went smoothly.

Comment

Thank you for testing this Barbelos. I will have to try again this weekend to see if I can make it work.

For all others who might be having a similar problem. I can make the boot floppy and boot the cd to the main menu. Choosing to install to hard disk begins the process but shortly after "booting the kernel.....ok" there are a couple of lines that pop up and my screen goes blank and nothing past that. I wish I could be more detailed but hopefully the problem will be recognized and fixed.

Edit: just a thought but the cd booted fine from my laptop. and i read someone say it booted fine from a neighbor's laptop. just dumb brainstorming but has anyone booted the cd from a desktop pc and installed ? I would have no clue what might cause it but it's a thought

Comment

Originally posted by golfdiesel
                          I can't boot the CD as well. produced a couple of coasters in the process.
                          Something is wrong with the ISO.
                          Same here on two different machines. I have Kubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" - Release i386 and it boots fine as well as Knoppix and Mepis. So some bug on the boot files?

Comment

I unhappily join the club. The live cd boots fine. The install CD just sends me back to grub. I also aggree that it schoudn't be nessecaray to make a floppy and the boot from the floppy to a cd.

Why not include a working installer (like kanotix) in the live cd?

Oh well will have to wait. Kbuntu is great and i want to stick with it.

Cheers
                            Fintan
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It's the same for me... the install cd doesn't boot...
                              ...and i don't manage to create the boot floppy
                              meditans

Comment

Working...
                              X