no response!
    If instead of entering the password I click on 'ignore',
    adept works fine, but of course it didn't allow me to commit
    any change/install!

BTW, I could execute other privileged programs where
    password is also asked.

Thanks for any help/comments

Re: Cannot run adept

Have you tryed it a few times? I have it to sometimes but after 2 our 3 times it suddenly works.

But after the last few updates adept is much more stabiel and never had it atm.

Comment

I've had the same problem with Adept - even in Breezy - for the last 3 weeks. I'm now using Dapper - same problem - even worse - none of the Adept 1.9 features work at all. Not even an attempt to run although it shows up as running in KSysGuard. 

My work-around is to right click Adept and "Put into Run Dialog" and run as root. Always works.

NOTE: make sure you remove the text after "Adept %i %m -caption "%c"
      It should show only "Adept" in the window. This is also a neat trick to do with Kate or other programs if you need root.

Comment

You could always switch to Synaptic. Even though It's a Gnome program it runs well in KDE. If Adept isn't working:
        "sudo apt-get update"
        "sudo apt-get install synaptic"

Synaptic will recognize your repository list. It has a somewhat different look and feel than Adept, but it's fairly intuitive. Give it a shot until Adept comes back. Personally, I don't type well enough to use apt-get without a GUI wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          You could always switch to Synaptic. Even though It's a Gnome program it runs well in KDE.  If Adept isn't working:
          "sudo apt-get update"
          "sudo apt-get install synaptic"

Synaptic will recognize your repository list.  It has a somewhat different look and feel than Adept, but it's fairly intuitive.  Give it a shot until Adept comes back.  Personally, I don't type well enough to use apt-get without a GUI wrapper.
          Me neither. I cut and past the cl strings into Kate, making sure there are no extraneous characters,

Then I use Kate's Tools/Pipe to Console

Kate's terminal will pop up and you then enter your password and the whole thing is processed just as if it was a script no matter how many lines there is.

I save many of these multi-line command line strings as text files that I can open and use for future. It comes in handy to setup new installs quickly.

Comment

Neat Trick, I think I'll try it.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              Neat Trick, I think I'll try it.
              I ran into this issue on, I believe it was, Dapper Flight 5 or 6. There was a post at that time to run:
              sudo debtags update
              from a terminal window. I tried that again after this LTS beta 2 install, and it worked great. I still got a message about not finding Mime Types; but I "clicked through" that warning. I did a Full Upgrade to get all the recent changes, including a new kernel, rebooted, and Adept works much better now.

Hope this helps,
              Tim

Comment

Working...
              X