This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

README: Installation and Boot Guide New Nirvana

there is a message in this thread by " wgaprotest" who says that he has provided a tutorial for installing windows on one hard drive and Linux on a second hard drive.
    I searched for his name and nothing came up, even though there is a button for "by user"
    Apart from needing this specific tutorial I would also like a tutorial on how to use the search function on this forum as I seem to have problems
    Thanks

Re: README: Installation and Boot Guide New Nirvana

Directly below the words "Kubuntu forums" You will see a glyph of a magnifying glass and a blue text entry area and a search button. If you click the magnifying glass you will be sent to the "Set Search Parameters" page. This is usually necessary only for complicated searches. If you enter a term and then click the search button, a search will be conducted for the term you entered. If the term that you searched on is too general, e.g. "dual boot", you will get a result that might be characterized by the phrase "taking a drink from a fire hose".

However, if you know the author of the post you seek (and that author is not a prolific poster), you will do better by clicking on the author's name. This will take you to his or her Profile. You can then click on View Posts and find the post that you were looking for.

Comment

Re: README: Installation and Boot Guide New Nirvana

2 drives is by far the easiest way to dual boot and how I do it.

1-Install windows on your drive and shutdown
      2-remove the windows drive and install 2nd drive
      3-install kubuntu and shut down
      4-reinstall windows drive(adjust jumpers if needed) as slave
      5-reboot into kubuntu (this should be the default right now)
      6-open konsole and type sudo fdisk -l this will tell you where the windows boot sector is /dev/hdb1? post if you need help here
      7-press alt-f2 and kdesu /boot/grub/menu.lst--enter password
      8-find the hidden menu line and place a # in front of it
      9-remove the # from the timeout line and increase to something you like 10sec
      10-above ## ## end default options ## ## add the info for windows
      eg:title windows
      root (hd1,0) this will depend on you sudo fdisk -l
      map (hd0) (hd1)
      map (hd1) (hd0)
      makeactive
      chainloader +1
      you should now have the choice to boot windows or linux

If you want to read the windows drive post again. this is already to long.

good luck, erie
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
      X