Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installing while keeping an existing winxp install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing while keeping an existing winxp install?

Hi,

i am a complete Linux newb and i have been wanting to try it for a while now, i have a Toshiba satellite laptop with a core solo proc, 1 gig of ram , an 80 GB HD, and onboard Intel graphics.

I have read a lot of tutorials online and i am still a little unclear on installing Kubuntu for dual boot. if i understand correctly, i first shrink my win XP partition with GPartEd leaving about 15 gigs or so unallocated space. then i install kubuntu letting it have its way with the 15 gigs. the only part i don't understand is how does the computer know to let me choose between XP and kubuntu, since it has been set to boot directly to the XP partition since it left the factory. When kubuntu installs GRUB will it make grub the default boot and then give me a choice every time i power on as for which OS i want?

thanks

Re: installing while keeping an existing winxp install?

You have the same question that I did. It dosen't matter what laptop you have as long as you have enough memory which you do. Anyway you start up from the Cd linux by holding "c" right when you start the computer and wait until you see The Toshiba Insignia. Then you start up Linux and click on the install icon. You then follow the steps but when it asks how to install it, then you have to partion it. You will have the option of erasing you entire computer and just having Linux OR you can partion it. It is one of the bulleted points. Make sure you pick the one they did for you because it should automatically figure the size remaining of your hard disk and it will install there. You shouldn't have any problems. Of course you can just run Linux live from the Cd if your just trying to install it....

p.s. You have the EXACT same laptop as me

Comment

I'll attempt an answer -- I think the question is "what am I gonna see, and what is it gonna do?"

Grub will cause you to see a new text menu when you boot your laptop. Something roughly like:

1. Kubuntu version 54321
      2. Check your memory

Other OS:
      3. Windows XP

OK, if you don't pick one within about 30 seconds after the menu appears, it will boot Linux. During that 30 seconds, if you want to run Windows, you will cursor down to the Windows line, and hit Enter, and then you'll boot Windows.

If you wish, after you've gained just a wee bit of proficiency with your new Linux system, it is possible to change the sequence, the time delay, etc., but that is not something I would advise doing right away.

HTH

Comment

thanks for the help, i am going to install it tonight.

Comment

Working...
        X