This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THINKPAD laptop instalation error: IRQ15 HANDLING PROBLEM

I installed 6.06 on my desktop home, no problem.
    Now i install 6.06 on my thinkpad i series 1200 laptop and it gives me the following error:

[17179890.572000] irq 15: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    [17179890.572000] handlers:
    [17179890.572000] [<c02521a0>] (idle_intr+0x0/0x200)
    [17179890.572000] Disabling IRQ #15

and it loops every minute. over and over and over.
    othly thing that changes is the [17179890.572000] number. right now its at [17179972.792000]. If somene knows how i can boot using text imput ( press escape at main boot, and boot: comes up, what do i type in?)
    I would probly need full instructions on this, i know NOTHING of linux. thank you very much!

Re: THINKPAD laptop instalation error: IRQ15 HANDLING PROBLEM

In short, you may try to (re-)boot with irqpoll as additional option ... but how?

- Reboot, and press [Esc] to make the boot loader's menu visible as well as [e] to edit the entry highlightened therein;
    - navigate to and edit the line starting with "kernel" (and read what's written on your display for the required details);
    - do not remove anything (!) from this line, but add a space and "irqpoll" to the end of what's already given there;
    - return (escape) to the main menu, check your edition, and continue booting ...

hopefully achieving different results this time.

If this trick worked, I'll tell you how to make it a permanent fix; it it failed, you may savely reboot, thus eleminating it.

Comment

I am very sorry but that makes no sense.

1.i booted. I have the options for memory test, test cd for error, boot from cd or install.

2. i press escape, it comes to a message that says: you are now leaving the image interface and going to the text interface. i press ok

3. this brings me to a black screen, with only the words at the top:

BOOT:

4. what do i type in?

Comment

When you're at the first menu (install, test, etc) that is really a grub bootloader menu. Press e to go into edit mode, move to the "run/install" menu section, use the cursor keys to move to the line starting with "kernel," move to the end of that line, add a space and type "irqpoll" command to the end of that line. Press enter and then b for boot. This runs the irqpoll command just this once so you can test it. If the command solves your problem it can be made permanent by editing your /boot/grub/menu.lst file on your hard disk installation.

Comment

Sorry, I assumed that you were trying to boot from harddisk, not from CD/DVD

To boot "live", You may try the following (instead):

- Select "boot from CD" (to get the timer stopped);
          - press [F6] to get access to the preset boot options;
          - add "irqpoll" (do not edit or remove anything else);
          - press [return] to give it a go as well as a(nother) try.

Comment

I dont think we are using the same version. I have 6.06 32bit
            menu layout is as follows:

start or install kubuntu
            start kubuntu in safe graphics mode
            check CD for defects
            memory test
            boot from first hard disk

F1: help F2: language F3: keymap F4: VGA F5: Accessibility F6: otheroptions

I am trying your otpino right now unicorn.

edit: seems to be working so far... by the way what does the Irqpoll thing do? I am trying to understand EVERYTHING i can about this.

edit2: i just love linux. tells you what the problem is and gives you hints on how to solve it....

Comment

my cd drive on the laptop is near kaput. so slow that loading takes hours.

alternative: booting from flash drive with kubuntu, or installing it from a different computer ONTO the flash drive, so i can transfer then ONTO the HDD?

can i just copy paste the items on the cd or do i need to do something special?

Comment

Originally posted by nevaziah
                what does the Irqpoll thing do?
                Among other things, "Loogle" gives me:

When an interrupt is not handled search all handlers for it.
                Also check all handlers each timer interrupt.
                Intended to get systems with badly broken firmware running.

(Quote from this page, contents unevaluated.)

Addenum: on "network installation" (?)

Comment

Working...
                X