X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safely removing USB key problem

Hello All:

I have a quick question about removing my USB key safely. When I try to remove it by right clicking, or using the command umount /media/sda1 I get the following message.

umount: /media/sda1 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

What does this mean? I've tried to change the access to all users via the command:

sudo chmod 777 /media/sda1/

Any ideas?

Cheers,

t.
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Safely removing USB key problem

T-Diddy,

it is meant the way it is written, so to speak: your system does not want you to remove the device in question while playing the role of a regular user, and it tells you that there is no entry refering to this device in your file system table (/etc/fstab).

Depending on the way you mounted the key at first hand, such behaviour might even be regarded as normal

Birdy

Comment

Thanks Birdy. I'll try to find ways to mount (and unmount!) my USB as a regular user. At least I don't have to panic about it

Cheers,

t.
      GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

T-Diddy,

Prior to any experiment, I would strongly recommend to conduct a search trough this forum (as well as the Ubuntu or even some Debian ones) - for the problem of how (not) to mount usb devices has allready been discussed several times, leading to more than one solution you may find interesing ...

Birdy

Comment

Both parts of the error message can be corrected in one swell foop by adding your usb key to your /etc/fstab file. Unfortunately, because usb keys get plugged and unplugged frequently, and because you can have more than one usb device plugged in at once, adding a usb key to your /etc/fstab file is not a totally trivial exercise. Fortunately, as penguin.ch pointed out, it has been discussed here before. Hint: search the forums for "udev" and "/dev/disk/by-id".

Comment

Working...
          X