This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAL/USB

Hi, is there lightly to be a new version of HAL in the next few days to sort out the USB mounting problem.

Thanks John

Re: HAL/USB

John,
    Can't really help however if you want to get USB access back, just install the old version back over the newer one. I found that hal_0.5.7-1ubuntu18.2 broke my access to USB drives.
    If you go to /var/cache/apt/archives/ you will find all the packages that have been downloaded to be installed. In here you should find hal_0.5.7-1ubuntu18.1_i386.deb which is the older version. If you do the following

dpkg -i hal_0.5.7-1ubuntu18.1_i386.deb

(as root), this will install the older version over the newer one and allowed me to access USB drives again.
    This is what I did to fix the broken X update that happened a while back.
    All you have to do now is ignore check the auto updater every now and then for a newer HAL version than 8.2 :-(
    Hope this helps.

Benny

Comment

A few days ago my main Kubuntu Dapper box let me know there was an update for HAL- to version 0.5.7-1ubuntu18.2kubuntu1.
      I installed it, and lo and behold, I was able to automount in KDE again. "Wonderful", I thought.

But none of my other Dapper boxes have picked up on it, despite have what appear to be identical sources.list files, even to the point of using the same mirrors.

After waiting a day or two, I took the risk and copied the .deb files over, installed them, and again, things are back to how they should be after weeks of having to manually mount via the command line using sudo.

What I cannot work out is why it wasn't shown as a option for me to install on the other machines.

PS I do also have the "workaround" entries in hal.conf specifically mentioning permissions for the plugdev group. I don't yet know if this is also required- it had no effect on its own.

Comment

Mishgosh,
        All my USB drives would automount using 18.1. When I went to 18.2, they would still automount but I got a malformed url message (I think) and couldn't read from any USB disk.......curious.
        You mentioned "the hal.conf workaround"; What is it for and what does it do?? This maybe my problem??

Benny

Comment

Working...
        X