This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help installing drivers

Hi all, You've probably heard this tonnes of times from other people, I am a complete Linux newbie. I like the overall look and everything, and I would like to gradually become fluent with the kernel. However I do have a problem. I have a modem here which only has drivers for Windows.

I have the modem "Origo ASU 8000" (USB modem) which according to this website > http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/modems.shtml can be made to run under Linux, the site also has drivers and instructions on the overall install procedure.

Thing is though, I don't get it, I'm not good with instructions and Linux is a whole new story for me where I don't know enough to guess my way through the process. Can anyone please help me achieve my goal by giving me instructions on how to do this step by step. By helping me you will be increasing the Linux population, even if only by one.

I will try answer any questions as best to my knowledge as I can.

Thanks.

Re: Need help installing drivers

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1884&CatId=564

29.99 :-) Linux friendly, 2 reviews said Ubuntu loaded it right out of the box.

I read the instructions on the page for your modem. I don't know how much you earn at your job - but I bet it'll take a lot longer to figure out how to compile that driver than it's worth.

Comment

The link you supplied looks like a dial up unit (??) whereas the OP gave what looks like an ADSL unit (?)

Comment

Hi Xoria, welcome.
        The link you give certainly suggests that it is possible to get your usb modem working. However you would need to use methods which really do need a fluent knowledge of linux. You may certainly achieve that with some time, however I have not yet done this. So I am sorry I cannot help with that.

I do know that it will be very much easier if you used an ethernet connected adsl modem-router, particularly if you can begin with a non wireless (ie utp cable) connection to the PC.

As I understand it, USB modems are bad news in many ways, including security.

Comment

I saw "modem" and thought "dial up" - I'm sorry, I thought DSL thingies were routers.

If it were me I would call up my ISP and try to sweet talk a router out of them. If sweet talk didn't do it I would get aggressive and point out that there is nothing wrong with my computer or OS - what the heck are they doing selling me some cripple ware hardware? :-)

Comment

Dang, I knew this would happen. Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. Thanks for the laugh podunk

Comment

Working...
            X