This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foomatic version conflict - HP G95 officejet [SOLVED]

I am trying to install a HP G95 all in one printer scanner, connected via usb.

I had problems with a message saying the driver did not exist or I had insufficient permissions etc. I see there is a bug which seems to include this:
    Bug #42965 and benefit was gained by using sudo foomatic-cleanupdrivers
    which I did. after re starting the printer, it started reacting a bit, and a restart of the PC led to me also apparently getting the printer install accepted.

However, nothing prints and there is nothing in the print jobs.

The recommended driver is commented as being hpijs, which is highlighted etc during the printer install process.
    Looking in the adept packages list I notice that for
    foomatic-db-hpijs the following are required and installed:

foomatic-filters
    foomatic-db
    hpijs >2

however, details also include some conflicts
    conflict foomatic-bin <2.9
    conflict foomatic-db < 2.9

The Kubuntu dapper Uudates have been fuly completed previously on this pc.

I see that a later version of foomatic (four elements) is available from foomatic site, but I am a bit out of my depth to ensure a correct 'upgrade'

is there any way to install these foomatic items using adept? do I need to remove any existing first

Is there any other way of proceding please?

Comments would be much appreciated.

Re: Foomatic version conflict - HP G95 officejet - SOLVED

HP G95 Solved (Kubuntu 6.06)

After further work I have success!

I did not specifically follow up the apparent foomatic version conflict I mentioned in the earlier message.

I investigated HP G95 and hpjis driver which led me to the HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP) pages at
    http://hplip.sourceforge.net/index.html
    This had promise - for me - to avoid an uncertain initial diagnosis and then face my lack of expertise to install four elements of foomatic.

The HPLIP project provides a single and semi automatic executable which can be run - a Self-Extracting Archive With Installer - currently this is plip-1.6.10.run

That was the theory anyway, which was mostly ok.

I ran it several times unsucessfully each time trying to make sense of the failed install behaviour. It would stop during th eprocess of the Dependancy and Conflict resolution stage.

It was trying to install some dependencies, but failing.

Because of the supposed foomatic conflicts I saw before I also at some early stage used adept to remove foomatic-db, foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-db-gutenprint, foomatic-db-hpijs, foomatic-filters, foomatic-filters-ppds. I do not know if this has helped or not, or caused problems elsewhere, yet....

I later looked at the detail of the installer failures and decided to start again (note 1)but first use adept (gui) package manager to install if necessary the dependencies first. These were listed in the HPLIP dependency list just before the failure:
    libjpeg62-dev, libcupsys2-dev, libusb-dev, lsb, openssl, libsnmp9-dev, sane-utils, xsane. All but openssl were not yet installed and could be installed, openssl was already installed.

Now when the hplip was run, a Postfix decision was required - I had seen advice to choose 'no configuration'.
    gcc also seemed to be missing, but this problem did not reappear.
    A GUI appeared and install of the G95 printer (already usb connected and ON) proceeded.

Tests at this stage were shown as being queued ok but the printer did not react. I wondered about restarting the print server (?), the easiest way for me was to reboot (sorry). Following this, to my delight, everything worked.

BTW I chose to place the initial file plip-1.6.10.run into the directory /opt/bin and ran it from there. Right or wrong, this was a useful out of the way place

Comment

Re: Foomatic version conflict - HP G95 officejet

(sorry)
      Continued:
      Note 1:
      deleted the printer if it showed in system settings>printers and also removed the file hpjis from /usr/bin (I renamed it). ALso beginning from a reboot if that makes any difference.

hth

Comment

Re: Foomatic version conflict - HP G95 officejet

Finally, I can say that I reinstalled (using adept package manager) most of the foomatic items I earlier removed.
        Re-installed:
        foomatic-db, foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-db-gutenprint, foomatic-filters, foomatic-filters-ppds.

I did not re-install foomatic-db-hpijs, because HPLIP includes the driver hpijs and I thought it is best left alone just now. I am well out of my depth of understanding anyway.

The other foomatic stuff seems to be needed for other printers which I also use.

Comment

Working...
        X