X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard drive goes crazy

Hi all!

Been having this problem for a while now and just can't solve it...

At random times Kubuntu will become a bit slow, i can feel this by some lag in the mouse pointer movement. This has become a tell tale sign of impending doom in that my hard drive will then go crazy and the entire computer will slow to a crawl (ie: move the mouse and wait about 30secs for the pointer to respond and jump across the screen) and eventually I need to press the reset button on my case since I can't intervene. Even leaving it for hours, the hard drive whirrs like mad. It's almost as though its accessing a humungous file or something. I've no idea what is causing this to happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: hard drive goes crazy

See if you can find th process that is hogging your cpu (if thats the issue) start ksysguard with root privileges (alt F2 kdesu ksysguard) when its about to happen, go to the process table tab and see what process is going wild - the kill it! The usual health warnings apply at this point, depending on the process unpredictable things may happen

Comment

Re: hard drive goes crazy

cheers analyticalman, i'll give that a go next time I get the 'slow mouse pointer of doom'

Comment

Working...
      X