This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video drivers in general?

Are video drivers really that fragile in Linux?

Every time I do something that borks the video drivers that's it. The only way I've found to recover is either have a good back up to restore or do a complete (and I do mean compleat, there are things in the /home that keep the new driver from working on a new install) reinstall.

I have this problem with booth Nvidia and ATI. Am I missing something here?

Re: video drivers in general?

Originally posted by podunk
    Are video drivers really that fragile in Linux?
    Hmm...that's kind of subjective, I've not had any major breakdowns caused by graphics drivers, though I tend not to tinker with them daily either.

Every time I do something that borks the video drivers that's it.
    What exactly are you doing to 'bork' the drivers?

The only way I've found to recover is either have a good back up to restore or do a complete (and I do mean compleat, there are things in the /home that keep the new driver from working on a new install) reinstall.
    Back-ups are always valuable to have around, but there shouldn't be anything in /home that would affect a graphics driver on a normal setup.

In general, there are a few things that may 'break' a driver (here's a few of them):
    1. Using binary drivers from the vendors (and performing a kernel upgrade)
    2. Using ubuntu packaged propietary kernels and not having the correct linux-* metapackages insatalled and performing a kernel upgrade
    3. Compiling your own kernel

Nearly all problems are recoverable without a reinstallation, though

Also, you can 'break' the x-server by messing with the configuration (xorg.conf), which can (and nearly always will) lead to the GUI not starting. In such cases restoring a working back-up of xorg.conf or reconfiguring the xserver with 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' should fix the problem

Comment

Re: video drivers in general?

Thank you. :-)

Borking was caused by 1 and 2 twice.

One bork was trying to get a resolution on my monitor that I know it supports but isn't native to xorg or something.

Every time I've done the dpkg-reconfigure xorg thing that's the beginning of the end for me - inexperince and an old ATI card.

Comment

Working...
      X