Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauppauge WinTV Theater under edgy and other linux systems using kernel 2.6.17+

Hi all,

I figured i would address the sound problems with newer kernel revisions and the Hauppauge WinTV-Theater this setup is for the ntsc version (United States) Though this information may be helpful to anyone trying to get sound running under linux with their WinTV-theater card.

For some reason sound worked fine on 2.6.15 kernels (Kubuntu Dapper) but when i upgraded to edgy, it uses a newer kernel revision meaning that theres more than likely a different way the kernel detects and handles the hardware. the bad thing is, the WinTV-Theater isnt handled correctly. video works, FM Tuner works, but the audio to the TV tuner does not. but that may be primarily because unlike most of the Hauppauge line, this particular card uses the msp3400 driver for dolby processing.

in my case i could start tvtime and hear an audible 'pop' but hear nothing else. so if you get that much when running your tv tuner, this may help you...

What i did is take a look at the modinfo for msp3400: the shell will give you all the parameters that the driver handles at runtime. where do you put those options? in /etc/modprobe.d/options

the line i used in there is as follows

options msp3400 debug=1 dolby=0 standard=32 opmode=0

debug can be safely disabled (set to 0) i was using that to get information in dmesg that might help with diagnosis. opmode sets the detection method to manual and standard set to 32 sets the tv standard to NTSC. dolby is flagged at 0 because mine is using a small patch cable to the back of my audigy sound card and having it flagged i figured might cause problems. add this line to options, and reboot. when you use your tv tuner you should have sound afterwards...

Hope this helps someone else.

Letalis
Working...
X