This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension L600CX

I'm trying to get Linux that'll run on my Dell Dimension L600CX. The systems specs are:
    Processor: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 8 598 MHz Stepping 6
    Math Support: On Chip
    BIOS: American Megatrends
    Bus Type: PCI,ISA,USB
    Ports: 1 Parallel, 1 Serial
    Memory: 127 MB (82% Utilized)
    Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
    Hard Disks: 9.32 GB
    Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
    Video: 1024x768 in True Color, Intel(R) 810e Chipset Graphics Driver (DC133 FSB133) 4.11.01.1361 Ver. 4.0

The CD is an 8x drive.

I've got the latest run-from-CD software but it runs like a dog. It's really incredibly slow. It takes 30 minutes to boot from the CD as opposed to about 5 for Windows. The rest of the operation is equally sluggish. Is this an indication that it won't run properly on my computer?

I have less than no intention of upgrading any part of my computer and if I can't dual-boot Linux on it then I'll just forget Linux and go ahead with getting a new Apple instead.

Re: Dell Dimension L600CX

i dont know to much about linux but i had the same proboblem as you ( i have the same system) all you have to do is get the alternate installation for linux. this is for computer with less that 192 meggs of ram. you have probly like me have tried using the normal download we need the alternate versoin. if you need a recommadation for a distrubition id recommand the kubuntu dapper drake go to thier website www.kubuntu.org and downloade the alternate versoin on a slow burn rate ex 4x.

i hope i helped if you have anyother questions you can emal me at

ipodfix@hotmail.com

mike

Comment

Did you manage to dual boot?

Comment

no read my newest topic...

Comment

Working...
        X