X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M hangs the system on startup

Hello everyone !

I've just installed the ATI driver following http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide this tutorial (method 1 )

Everything went fine until after the first reboot - I see the log in screen but from here there are two things that can happen:

1) I log in and 2 - 3 secs after "KDE is up and running" the system hangs.

What could be noticed is that all menus are transparent (missing) and the the screen never gets refreshed - if i manage to open K menu for example all sub menus are drawn "one over the other" when I move through them.

Of course this observation is based on 3 second availability ... after that I need to use the hard reboot button.

2) I choose "failsafe" as session type, then log in and i can see the shell window ...or what's left of it - only the buttons from the menu and the "active" shell area are visible, absolutely no refresh - if i type something it stays there and the next thing i enter will appear over it making it impossible to read .. but this time the system remains usable (with no way to read the output or find a menu item since it will again appear "over" everything else )

I am kind of newbie in Linux so i was unable to extract my Xorg.0.log file ... i managed to start kate and view it however.
    There were no errors except:

Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    xf860peuSeial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom/
    No such file or directory

Error opening /dev/wacom: Invalid argument

im running a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.06.1 on HP pavilion dv5140eu, AMD Turion 64 ( I have the 386 kernel) and I have my video card set to use both dedicated memory and share another 128 Mb from the system RAM

Working...
X