This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5.5 Print problem

After a recent upgrade I am unable to print using kde software (I can print using Ooo and gimp) What happens is whilst attempting to print the dialog box pops up "initialising printer system" this fails giving the message " An error occured while retrieving the printer list. Connection to CUPS failed check that the cups server is correctly installed and running. Error local host read failed(15)

I then click on add printer where test print prints a page I click on finish and then nothing. I have gone through control centre as well to try and solve problem.

Re: KDE 3.5.5 Print problem

I had the same problems here.
    After upgrading from 3.5.4 to 3.5.5 I got the same strange error messages.
    However I was able to solve the problem. ( well at least I cured the sympton  )
    Thats what I did:
    - bring up "System Settings"
    - choose Printers
    - choose drop down menu "Print Manager"
    - choose menu item "Configure Manager ..."
    - choose "CUPS Server" on the side bar

now there should be 2 fields for server information. Typically you have localhost for your host if you just have ypour printer connected to your local machine.

- change localhost to either 127.0.0.1 or to the hostname of your machine.

That worked well for me.

The question remains, why the kde print system is no longer able to resolve localhost correctly. ( worked perfectly for kde < 3.5.5 )

hope this helps
    cheers

Comment

Many thanks, now printing.

I thought linux was trying to compete against other os. This type of problem would frustrate and discourage new users.

Comment

Thanks a lot, printing now works again in KDE.

Comment

I'm glad you found a solution.

This bug seems to only affect dapper machines (and is fixed when upgrading to edgy)...perhaps something was overlooked when 'backporting' kde 3.5.5 for dapper?

Comment

Working...
          X