This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit version of Kubuntu

I am buying my brother a new computer and the best price/performance appears to be a 64bit dual core machine (I am envious for myself now). I understand that I can run the 32bit Kubuntu on this machine - does that cause any serious issues? I have used Kubuntu for a few years now and Linux for several more, but never 64bit. Is it a stable system and do all the normal packages (GIMP, OpenOffice, KDE, KOffice, KTorrent, and such) run cleanly on it?

I guess the basic question is: is a dual core 64bit a good choice and should I use the 32 or 64bit version of Kubuntu on it?

TIA
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: 64 bit version of Kubuntu

Hi,

Yes, for me it's a good choice, I own a X2 64bits and run every day a 64 bits version of kubuntu. Almost everything is running well except, of course, flash...
    Anyway, you have to get used not to have the latest packages available on same days as 32 bits platform, but this aside it's really nice and (for me) faster and more reliable system than my 32 bits (one year old and 4 years old)
    If you want you can still install a 32 bits version on it, it will run like on a 32bits procesor, so no problem and all the system available like on i386 systems.

Hope it helps

Comment

Re: 64 bit version of Kubuntu

Thanks Sky. You helped answer my question clearly. My brother is a non-technical Windows user so I think the 32 smp version will be best for now. I don't want to turn him off with issues like flash. I can always move him to 64 on the next release or the one after that. Again, thanks.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Working...
      X