This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB devices doesn't mount automatically

I have installed Kubuntu after a long time using Ubuntu, and a USB MP3 Player and a USB Digital Camera which worked perfectly in Ubuntu doesn't works in Kubuntu.

When I plug in the  both devices are detected, but although the icon appears in konqueror I can't open them. When I try to open the next message apears:

An unknown error occured

If I mount them manually after creating a "/media/usbdrive" folder using "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbdrive" they work OK. How can I fix this? I have KDE 3.5.5

Thank You

Re: USB devices doesn't mount automatically

I found that this problem also developed on my system after upgrading to KDE 3.5.5. All the USB devices mounted automatically on 3.5.4 and still do on Gnome, but when I log into Kubuntu - nothing. If anyone knows how to solve this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hi
      I also updated to KDE 3.5.5 yesterday and am now unable to mount my usb stick. Before the update there was no problem. Due to the ammount of updates I don´t know wether the KDE update caused the problem though.
      I would also be very interested in a fix for this problem.
      Thanks

Comment

im having a similar problem with my iaudio x5L mp3 player...kubuntu-dapper sees my player (its a UMS device) and i can even browse the folders...but now i can't copy any more files to the device. konquerer/kubuntu insists that my device is full, but i booted into windows freed up at least 10GB of space. i did find a folder named .0001trash, which appears to have been created by kubuntu...but i cleared out the contents and it still wont let me copy files on to my player. i know its not the player since it works fine with xp and ubuntu...just not kubuntu...hmmm, any ideas?

Comment

Same problem here, after upgrading to KDE 3.5.5 and the ton of other updates that came with it, my usb memory stick no longer automounts nor do any of my other hard drives show up in the storage media folder. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi all,

as every body here I am also impacted by this bug after upgrading to KDE 3.5.5 on a Kubuntu Dapper box.

For your information, this bug has been reported into KDE's bugs management tool and into launchpad :

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...de/+bug/66307/
            http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135586

I hope this will help you track this bug ....
            Cheers,

Chicha.

Comment

Hello again !

There is a solution for this problem. I quote my comments in launchpad :

The solution, in my case, has just been found and is available here : http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135586.
              The problem occurs specifically on kubuntu system when you update directly from kde 3.5.3 to 3.5.5 without having added the 3.5.4 repository in your sources.list ...
              So put both kde 3.5.4 and kde 3.5.5 deb sources and the problem will be solved (at least it worked for me :-) )
              I hope it helped !
              Cheers,
              Chicha.

Comment

Thanks! This worked perfectly! Now I can go back to using KDE as my main desktop

Comment

Hal related updates available on the repositories this morning.

After upgrading the problem seems to have been solved here !

Comment

Originally posted by capagira
                    Hal related updates available on the repositories this morning.

After upgrading the problem seems to have been solved here !

btw
                    I noticed that now it only manual pumount works ....

Comment

I tried this but I have already latest hal and libhall (0.5.7-1ubuntu18.2)
                      Any other solutions

Comment

I've been having the same problem with my systems and the suggested fix along with updates and subsequent reboots still hasn't solved the problem. Since this is my primary machine, I really need a fix pronto. How would I go about rolling back to the earlier version that worked?

Comment

This helped me

Type: sudo nano /etc/fstab
                          Add this line /etc/fstab file

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,user 0 0

sda1 can be also something else like sdb1! Check it from your usb device.

And you must make "sda1" folder in /mnt folder

Comment

@Pjotor: Your solution will only work if the usb device is always seen as /dev/sda1, or sdb1, or whatever. This will not be the case if either (1) the usb device is occasionally removed and another device substituted or (2) there is more than one usb device attached to your computer, and the computer is occasionally rebooted.

@ecfield: I suspect that your problem can be solved by using the facilities of the udev system, since this is exactly the kind of problem it was designed to solve. Please take a look at this document. You only need to read up to and including the section called "Built-in persistent naming schemes".

Comment

Working...
                            X