This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing disk space on a usb drive

I have an iriver h20 usb drive. I've got it to mount on my home pc. I can copy files to it. I back them up on another computer and delete the file on the drive whilst using the other computer. When I remount it on my home pc it doesn't appear to have freed the disk space up.

How do I free the disk space so I can copy more data to the drive, please?

Thank you for any help,

Merlyn

Re: Losing disk space on a usb drive

Merlyn,

may sound silly, but what do you mean by "delete"? Really removing them? Or just putting them into the trash bin? The latter one would mean that these files are still around (although made "unvisible" of sorts).

To check things out, the console command ls -a /[somewhere] should prove helpful ("-a" means "show all and everything", including the disk's local trash bin, which is a usually hidden directory).

Alternatively, checking View - Show Hidden Files in Konqueror's main menu should lead to the same results ...

Now, you should be able to clean things up

HTH
    Bernd

Comment

Also, if you wish to permanently remove things without putting them in the 'trash bin' (on an usb stick), you can use shift+delete on files.

Or alternatively enable 'Show Delete context menu entries which bypass the trashcan' in konqueror settings, after which 'Delete' appears on the right-click menu.

You can also add 'Delete' button to the toolbar.

Of course use caution when 'Deleting' since you can't get the files back from the trash if you delete them.

Comment

I do mean shift + deleting. The files are not in the trash bin and the space hasn't been freed up.

Comment

Working...
        X