X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading hardware (motherboard and processor) question

Hello All:

I have a quick question and I hope it is just a simple "no problem" solution, but I wanted to make sure.

In the next month, I will be upgrading some hardware on my computer, specifically the processor and the motherboard (along with RAM).

My current setup is as follows:
    AMD Athlon 2600+
    1905 MHz
    on an ASUS motherboard (I forget the model)

Anyways, i realize that I must upgrade the hardware still using a 32-bit processor, but are there any issues switching to Intel? Any issues switching at all?

Are there any suggestions what to upgrade to? I am looking for lots of RAM (motherboard) and a much faster processor as i will start running code for school at home periodically.

That's all...

Thanks,

t.

GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Upgrading hardware (motherboard and processor) question

Hi,

It shouldn't be a trouble to get an intel processor if you still have a 386 kernel installed...
    Anyway, if you want you can buy a 64 bits processor, it shouldn't hurt as you can start a 32 bits distro on it... And when you will feel that 64 bits os are ready, just step in

Finally about choice for processor or motherboard, can't really help you, I can just tell you I'm happy with my X2 4200 Proc and Asus A8N32 SLi Deluxe (1Gb ram)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by T-Diddy
      Hello All:

I have a quick question and I hope it is just a simple "no problem" solution, but I wanted to make sure.

In the next month, I will be upgrading some hardware on my computer, specifically the processor and the motherboard (along with RAM).

My current setup is as follows:
      AMD Athlon 2600+
      1905 MHz
      on an ASUS motherboard (I forget the model)

First of all. Stick with AMD. Next go to MSI web site and look at the K8 and K9 boards.

You will have to re-install Kubuntu but your choice of 32/64 bit version.

I have a 64 AMD but still run the 32 bit version of Kubuntu. Still problems with 64 I find. Hopefully the next upgrade (edgy) will fix all issues.

that's by advice....

Anyways, i realize that I must upgrade the hardware still using a 32-bit processor, but are there any issues switching to Intel? Any issues switching at all?

Are there any suggestions what to upgrade to? I am looking for lots of RAM (motherboard) and a much faster processor as i will start running code for school at home periodically.

That's all...

Thanks,

t.

Comment

Thanks for the advice (both of you), although to be honest, as I'm keeping the hard drives, I was hoping I wouldn't have to reinstall Kubuntu. It took a couple of days to get it the working to sync with my computer at school.

Oh well.

Cheers,

t.
        GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

If you don't want to be bothered by changing os, you should keep a trace of :
          - dpkg-query -l (you'll get all packages installed with ii in front, removed with rc)
          - keep the filesystem /etc somewhere if you can (there's almost all config files there)
          - keep your /home (you can always reuse it... make first a backup of it)

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
          X