X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 5601. I cannot get the sound to work. I have tried all the different hardware options in System Settings -> Sound System Configuration, but nothing works. The output of my lspci was:

0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

The KInfoCenter says this sound driver is installed: 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.10rc3 emulation code).

What should I change to have my system output sound?

M.

Re: No sound

Hi,

may be weird but have you tried playing any file in XMMS(have to install) or Amarok (in-built)?

Earlier, I knew only XMMS so the moment i installed kubuntu, I installed XMMS as well using adept. But unfortunately, I used to get (still getting) an error message "Device not working. Please check is there any other program blocking the sound device".. I tried all the combinations in kcontrolcenter lol.. but no luck.

On a fine day, I just opened Amarok & tried playing a wav file it WORKED!! (Please dont ask me how it worked).. at the same time I tried with XMMS which was still showing the same error..

Now Amarok ROCKS my system... & XMMS still with the error

Comment

Yeah, I have tried Amarok and VLC. I can play any media file, except that they do not output sound.

M.

Comment

Humm.. then all I can say as a novice is that do you have the latest Kernel Image??

You can also get help from http://www.alsa-project.org/ if you have the exact sound card specifications.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi
          I have a IBM NetVista that uses about the same sound Intel 82801BA_ICH2 and I am not having any problems.
          You might check your speakers settings.
          Right click on the speakers icon in your lower right.
          Select the "Select Master Channel".
          My is set for Master.
          Close it and right click on the speaker icon again and select "Show Mixer Channel..."
          The Master should be on (light green light), if off it is dark green.
          You might have to move the slide up to get sound.
          I am using external speakers and I have the slider set about 80%
          that way  I can control my external speakers the way I want.

If you are using the PC speaker the "PC Speaker" light should be on.

Hope this helps
          Good Luck

Comment

Hi,

I have already tried that. For choosing the Master volume, mine shows PCM, Front, Line, Mic and Capture. I have tried all (PCM, Front and Line) as the Master volume, nothing works.

M.

Comment

ahhh.. pity you.. have you checked alsamixer settings while playing?

in konsole, type alsamixer.. you will see volume levels.. try raising the level while playing music..

Comment

Yeah, checked that too. No change.

M.

Comment

Does anyone know if this problem has been solved in Edgy Eft? I don't want to upgrade unless it has been solved.

M.

Comment

I decided to upgrade to Edgy Eft, and this problem has been fixed.

M.

Comment

Working...
                    X