X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core 2 Duo on 686smp - instabilities

Hey guys,

I'm having this incredibly weird problem that I'm not sure how to explain - I recently got a Core 2 Duo laptop, and naturally I installed Kubuntu on there. I installed the 686-smp kernel image to get smp support for my other core.

Now, when I boot up the 686 kernel, I get KDM and it all works fine. However, 90% of the time when I log-in, my keyboard just flat out dies. Nothing works - I can't restart X, nothing. Booting into 386 presents no such problem.

Even weirder is the fact the englightenment E17 (another window manger) does not suffer the same problem, or at least none that I can observe.

Can someone please help me? I'm at wits end!!!!

Re: Core 2 Duo on 686smp - instabilities

Although I didn't have the keyboard problem, I did have the prob of system not recognising both of my processors in my core duo; did you install the restricted-modules 686 smp as well as the base system 686 smp in addition to the linux image? I know that you have to install 3 distinct 686 components for all to work, and the restricted modules has the necessary stuff for your keyboard, I believe. Sorry for the imprecision of my language, but I'm a kubuntu newb myself with a intel core duo lappy (thinkpad). A bit off topic, but I really liked the way you said 'of course I installed kubuntu on on it'; my sentiments exactly. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
    X