This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron Media buttons - a Solution

Here's what worked for me (although it's a bit of hassle to configure). Dell Inspiron 630m.

Ensure you have the right keyboard setup (needs to be laptop dell inspiron and not generic). I am not sure but you may also need the restricted kernel modules also (in any event you will need them for the card reader).

Using kmix you can then under global settings configure volume up/down/mute with the Fn + Page up/down/end keys. This also makes the up/down/mute buttons on the front work too.

You can then launch say Kaffeine and configure all the buttons on the front with the tools\configure shortcuts settings. A word of caution here - some buttons are dual purpose e.g play and pause. You will need to assign a different keystroke for each action. I for example have selected the play button for play (a stroke of genius, I know) and pause is Win+play. Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera.

This is probably fairly useless info for most people, but it goes to show that all media keys with the exception of the home button can be made to work.

Ian

Edit : since posting the above I have found that with the latest kernel the volume up/down/mute buttons just work once the right keyboard is selected so nothing need be done with Kmix

Re: Dell Inspiron Media buttons - a Solution

Where is "laptop dell inspiron" selected?

Can it be selected after installation, or must the system be re-installed :P

Comment

Re: Dell Inspiron Media buttons - a Solution

select system settings/regional and language/keyboard layout and then select.

Comment

Working...
      X