X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

playing mp3, wav, etc doesn't work; only start-up-sounds and others work

hi,

i've got kubuntu recently installed, but the sound won't work correct;
    the start-up sound, some notifications etc seem to work..

but inserting a music disc or just playing mp3, ogg, etc files doesn't work.
    the players (all) said 'cannot detect sound driver'.

to play the sounds that seem to work manually (for testing) doesn't work, too.

whats wrong with this? (the sound card must be an intel one (on the mainboard on my dell-notebook));

i recently updated to the 686 smp kernel... does this has an influence?

i hope you can help me...

thank you

daniel

Re: playing mp3, wav, etc doesn't work; only start-up-sounds and others work

It's seems that you have an Intel-HDA-Soundchip OnBoard. Wich Kernle do you use? If it's a Kernel lower Kernel 2.6.17. The current Kernel in Kubuntu is, I 2.6.15. The Kernel 2.6.17 fixes that problem. There might be a Patch or something. Google might be usefull. Or try, changing the parameter "model" in the Settings to laptop. This brings a little more life the sound, earphones. At least on a Suse 10.1.

Comment

thanks for your answer!!! it seemed to be that noone would answer my question...

yes, i have an Intel-HDA-Soundchip OnBoard.

i have the following kernels installed:

kernel 2.6.15-27-686 (SMP) <- i am using this cause of my core duo
      kernel 2.6.15.26-386 <- this was the standart one

there's no *.deb-package in the ubuntu basic-section.

how can i install such a kernel (sorry for asking, but i'm not that familiar with installing non-*.deb-packages...)?

thx a lot!

Comment

Just a short message. I'll have a look wich Kernel version exactly contains the fix. After that I'll Post the Link to the Patch and a short manual how Patch your Kernel.

Just a little more patience
        Sorry . . .

Comment

hi amun-ra,

thanks for your post!

looking forward to hear your solution..

till soon...

daniel

Comment

Working...
          X