X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card not recognized anymore

Hi,

I am having a strange problem. I have an Acer Aspire 5601. When I first installed Kubuntu, it recognized the internal wireless card (Intel) automatically, and I was able to connect to the Internet and download all the updates. However, after I restarted my machine, the OS is not detecting the card anymore. It only shows the ethernet card in the netword interfaces list. Does anyone know a way to fix this? The card is fine, as I am able to boot into Windows and connect to the wireless network.

Also, the battery recognition is flaky. Sometimes when the adapter is plugged in, Kubuntu says there is no battery at all.

M.

Re: Wireless card not recognized anymore

Hi,

First can you check if it's really not recognized please by the command lshw or lspci (also by checking in /var/log/dmesg)
    If not, did you change the kernel version for your computer ? If yes, can you try to boot the one you were using when the card was recognized ?
    If not, can you tell us what is exactly the model of chipset (ipw2200 for example) and also the output of "ifconfig -a" and lspci ?

Hope it helps.
    Cheers

Comment

also, if you have a wifi button like this HP laptop, DON'T push it! Drove me crazy trying to figure out why my card wasn't working. Also, I've been using knetwork manager and it seems to do a fair job of getting the card connected.

Good luck
      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Apparently Kubuntu had installed a new version of the kernel without even asking me. I made the old version the default in GRUB, and it recognized the card.

Thanks for you suggestions.

M.

Comment

i have the same problem. the newer kernel doesn't detect my wireless. but the old kernel does. Strange. i guess i have to stick to the older kernel for now

Comment

I was having this problem as well with an Intel 3945 internal wireless, and couldn't figure out the reason. What I did was go back to my earlier kernel install and in network settings clicked the box 'activate at start up'. This seemed to carry over into the newer kernel for some reason and it's been flawless since. Hope this is of assistance. Cheers.

Comment

That did not work for me. I will just stick with the older one for now.

M.

Comment

We better think about filling bug reports on this. I am involved wth another thread and it seems acx111 suffers the same problem.

Regards
                --<br />wishing you well

Comment

bug report sent. Hope this helps those of you that have been bitten by this latest kernel.

Bug #: 64085
                  regards
                  --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
                  X