X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Camera function

Hi all,

first post here on the forum, though I've managed to learn everything I know so far from these threads.

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-W50 digital camera. I went into system settings to add the camera, but there are no drivers listed. My google-fu is poor, as all I've managed to come up with are people selling the camera, not offering help to use it with linux.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Digital Camera function

My knowledge and experience is limited. The way it works on my computer is after I plug my camera in via usb, it shows up in the system settings camera dialog. When I want to download the pictures I go to konqueror and in the url address bar I type camera:/ and the cameras file system will show up in the konqueror window. I didn't have to load anything. Pretty slick if you ask me.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

This is from http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...t-228388.html:

"I found the trick for the DSC-W30 / W50 & more sony cameras! Press the menu button on the camera after it's connected to the USB port. Then select the USB mode setting from "Auto" to "PTP." Ubuntu will suddenly see the camera and will start gthumb to pull down the photos."

Comment

Awesome! worked like a charm. Used digiKam in lieu of gthumbs, but who cares, right?

Thanks all.

Comment

Used digiKam in lieu of gthumbs

Hey, whatever works!

Comment

Using that setting I can download the pictures using digikam with my new Nikon D50, as opposed to having to copy and paste. More elegant. According to the camera manual, that setting is meant to be used with the Nikon software so that's really good.

To irritate, however, whenever I plug the camera in, Konqueror tries to open the device and fails because it can't see the pictures (although it does if the camera is set as a mass storage device). Nothing I do seems to enable me to use digikam to open it. Selecting open with and going to digikam returns the error message " The file or folder / does not exist".

This does not happen with any other application that I try to open the thing with, although of course they can't see the camera.

To get rid of the irritation it would make sense for the kde default action for this event to be "do nothing". Can you advise me please how I can change this?

Ian

Comment

Help! Big problem here.

In attempting to stop Konqueror trying to open the camera, I got messages that I needed to remove the service ("inode" I think) for that mine-type. In the properties of the camera desktop link, I saw a reference to Inode and removed it, not for a moment thinking that this would be removed system-wide! As a result, the ability to use konqueror as a file manager has gone completely - even if I launch xfce instead of kde. All to fix a bloody camera!

There appear to be 2 folders called inode in the /user/share/mime directory. Given that I cannot nagigate to them within kde/xfce can anyone venture to suggest what code line I may have deleted to cause this issue?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Working...
              X