This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Issues

Unfortunately, when I installed Kubuntu, I had no sound. After many painstaking hours of searching, I came across someone who said they changed their sound card using kmix. I went into kmix and changed my sound card from intel something to ensoniq something. After this I had sound. Now I do not have sound and I keep trying to change it back but every time I open kmix again, the card it has selected is the intel!

Re: Sound Issues

Could be an engine problem.

Try system settings/sound and multimedia. check that under general "enable the sound system" is checked. Then press "test sound". If there is silence, select the audio device. Try ALSA or Open Sound System. Then test the sound again.

Ian

Comment

I did what you said, and could not find ALSA, while the box was checked and I was left listening to silence.

Comment

Alsa is "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" which I would expect to be there. Is it not? Which ones are available?

Ian

Comment

oops my bad, ALSA is there, but I tried it and it didn't work do you have any other suggestions to fix the problem, I miss my mp3's(I had played them before on the computer so it is very strange) I can't even play the ogg files, and when I log on to kubuntu the starting sound is absent if any of that helps

Comment

do you think that I might (gasp) have to reinstall kubuntu?

Comment

If you launch the kmix window, if either the "master" or "pcm" are at zero you will get silence. Likewise if the button at the top of the "master" slide is dark green.

Any adjustment needed there?

Comment

no, it is all good there, the volume is turned up and the lights aren't dark green

Comment

Are you just trying the "test sounds" from within system settings, or using something else?

Comment

I had tried the test sounds thing every time, but also every time I tried launching a music file in amarok, which started to play, but no sound was coming out of the speakers, and yes they are on.

Comment

Sorry, at this point, I am out of ideas. A Sound card not working at all must be a rarity.

One point, and it may be a red herring, is that since your installation disk was created (is it 6.06 or 6.06 1?) There may well have been updates which amongst other things address this issue. So you might try updating the syatem using adept before starting over again from scratch. Can't add anything more at this stage.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X