X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS disk read-write?

Hi!

I've reasently installed Kubuntu on a second partition of my primary hard drive. Now, in Windows XP (on the other partition) I use a second hard drive with an NTFS partition for storing images, music etc.

Now I would like to write more data to that partition in Linux (and Windows sometimes, since I still use both) but I havn't figured out how to mount it with write access for my user. I searched around forums and saw several people saying that it's risky to edit NTFS disks in Linux.

Is this true? If it is, is there another way to share a storing space between Windows and Linux somehow? If not, anyone know how to mount a NTFS disk with write access, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks,
    Erfa

Re: NTFS disk read-write?

erfa,
    You will get differing opinions, but I along with some are hesitant to write to ntfs, especially files that are critical. It isn't perfect yet. If you have the room, do what many of us who dual boot do--create a Fat32 partition and read/write with both OS.
    Sorry if this really didn't help,
    Jim A.

Comment

Install ntfs-3g and you should be able to access your Windows drive for read-write. There's a very good how-to here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009 (or this will point to a good how-to).

It is true that it used to be that Linux and NTFS didn't mix. But ntfs-3g has really changed all that.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, that helped. I got ntfs-3g as I wanted to. However, I might consider converting the partition to FAT32 later on, if thats safer.

Anyone else have an opinion? How safe is ntfs-3g?

Again, thanks for you replies.
        Erfa

Comment

im using the opposite approach. my shared partition is ext3. to access the data partition from windows i had to install a driver for windows. works flawlessly for me.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

Comment

is it possible to convert an M$ partition from ntfs to fat32? I really didn't know that!

I'd sure be willing to do that on my old laptop. Might even speed up the poor little thing.

best regards
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Originally posted by a_hippie
              is it possible to convert an M$ partition from ntfs to fat32? I really didn't know that
              Er... I actually don't really know. I just assumed it was.
              Originally posted by disher
              im using the opposite approach. my shared partition is ext3. to access the data partition from windows i had to install a driver for windows. works flawlessly for me.
              I probably would have just that way if it wasn't NTFS from the start. Is it possible to convert from NTFS to ext3?

Comment

Partition Magic for Windows enabled me to partition off a 20Gig section of my 200Gig drive for my partner to read/write to (via our LAN) as he was using Linux and I was on Windows XP - I formatted it as a FAT32 and we could both write to it and read from it without any problems.

I have now, however realised how carp Windows is, and I'm on Linux too rofl
                I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Wow, this is the first I've heard of anyone using Debian based software using ntfs-3g. I didn't think FUSE was integrated into Debian distros yet. Any success?

Will

Comment

Originally posted by cLuEdArT
                    Wow, this is the first I've heard of anyone using Debian based software using ntfs-3g.  I didn't think FUSE was integrated into Debian distros yet.  Any success? 
                    AFAIK, FUSE can be added as a module...as the howto seems to indicate

Comment

Working...
                    X