This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't set up printer in Kubuntu

I couldn't get a response from my printer, which had worked earlier, so I went to System Settings and clicked on Printers. I got the little spinning wheel and it never went away. All other hardware modules are working. I went back and checked all print related packages: kdeprint, CUPS, gutenprint, etc. They're all there. I don't know why it won't let me set up a printer. Administrator mode is hopeless, since I can't even get that far. Any thoughts?

Re: can't set up printer in Kubuntu

Well, I know a little more now. If I let the printer module run long enough, it comes back with an error saying it couldn't connect to the CUPS server. But the CUPS daemon is running.Even so, I can't connect to it by trying localhost:631 in my browser. So, something is seriously wrong. But I have no clue what.

Comment

The workaround I have used in the past is opening adept and reinstall cups. This has worked for me a couple of times. cups has done that to me many times. after reinstalling cups I can go through the wizard with no errors.

Comment

Thanks. That was worth trying. But I'm still not able to run any print config tools. It behaves as if CUPS isn't even installed (and it is, with cupsd running). It complains that it can't find foomatic-db either, which is also installed.

Comment

Alright. It was my firewall not allowing me to connect to the CUPS server. Case closed.

Comment

Well, I was hasty in thinking things were entirely fixed. Now I can connect to CUPS and get through all but the last step of printer setup. When I select the Gutenprint driver for my printer and go Next, I get a mesage saying:

"Unable to create the Foomatic driver... Either that driver doesn't exist or you don't have the required permissions to perform that operation."

The driver is definitely installed, along with Foomatic. And I'm running print config in administrator mode. So, there is no higher privilege available. I'm boxed in again.

Comment

I was missing the cupsys interface to the Gutenprint drivers. I installed that and now everything is working again.

Comment

Working...
              X