Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't get my graphics drivers to install: fixed. Yafray won't install: fixed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get my graphics drivers to install: fixed. Yafray won't install: fixed.

I have a fresh Kubuntu installation on my computer and it won't install my graphics drivers. I have no internet on the computer with Kubuntu on it, so I can't directly download anything. So far, it seems it needs either the Scource Header files or the actual scource code... I can't remember which one it specified at the moment. I think it was the scource header files. Does anyone know where I can dowload them, and what directory to put them in?

I have an nVidia GeForce 6600 LE AGP 8x graphics card, and I'm using the drivers available on the nVidia website.
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Re: I can't get my graphics drivers to install.

Hi,

If at all possible, get your kubunto box on the net to at least download this and run it while still connected:
    http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.p...6_Dapper_Drake

Follow the instructions for kubuntu, and select the nvidia driver install. This is the fastest, easiest way to get nvidia drivers...with net access of course. Without net access, go to nvidia.com, and then find Linux drivers, download the debian package to a cd-r, then extract it to your desktop. Read the readme on nvidia.com on how to install these files. You can't install the drivers while X is running, so you'll need to most likely boot failsafe since kubuntu doesn't use run levels and then from the prompt follow the directions from the readme. Automatix is definetly way easier and faster IMO though.

Will

Comment

I can't get my graphics drivers to install.

I already know all that. I have already downloaded the drivers from nVidia.com, but when I try to install them without X server running, it says I need the source header files. Where do I download them, and how do I instal them without Internet on the computer I'm installing them on?

Comment

You will still need a net connection
        You can try this:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx
        then

Code:
        sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

Comment

That doesn't solve the problem, because I have no net connection. What can I do to install the drivers without Internet?

Comment

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're missing files. The only way to get them is from the net. When installing from a CD, only about 5% I would guess of this distrobution is installed. The other 95% of it is aquired through the internet using Adept or apt. I'm sorry, but I see no other alternatives about getting the required packages for the driver installation. Since you're posting here, why can't you get the files?

Good luck

Will

Comment

I'm only 16, and my dad doesn't want me to have Internet acces on my own computer. I'm not entirely new to Linux, but my dad is, so he seems to think there are alternatives to using the Internet. Shouldn't there be a .deb for all these packages that I can dowload, put on my thumbdrive, and install? If there isn't, than I think it would be a very important thing to do.

Is there a Kubuntu version that has all these things?

Comment

if you were to boot up the live cd and run apt-get install -d linux-headers-<linux version> that should get the .deb file for the headers, im pretty sure. dont know if the live cd has apt-get or not. you could double check the name in adept, if its there. check the man page as well.

Comment

Oh, well, I fixed the problem. I got temporary internet and I installed the drivers.

I don't have a live cd, by the way.

I have another problem: I tried to install Yafray 0.0.9 from the .deb on their website, and it said there was an error installing. I tried to install it with Adept, and it said that it had a broken installation, and it wouldn't let me uninstall or reinstall it. Any help?

Comment

Re: I can't get my graphics drivers to install: fixed. Now Yafray won't install.

Yafray works with Edgy. Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                    X