X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dvdshrink problem detecting DVD

Good evening,

I'm pleased with the new Kubuntu Dapper Drake version. Until now i have just 1 problem. I installed wine and then DVDshrink ( using Wine). Dvdshrink doesn't detect any dev. When i install dvddecrypter same problem. does somebody have an answer for this problem.

Off course i could use something else but i just have to work

Re: dvdshrink problem detecting DVD

I would be very surprised if any Windows program can be reiled upon to properly detect and operate hardware whilst running under Linux. Wine enables functionality of Windows progs for example I use it to run Quicken 2000 standard.

One possibility is that the program is trying to access a d or e drive which won't exist under Linux.

What are you trying to do.

Comment

I am trying to get dvdshrink to work. Until now it runs fine under suse linux 9.3 / 10 and 10.1 without any hasle so .............

I think that it should also run under Kubuntu any suggestions

Comment

Maybe you should try to run

winecfg

and check that your system is set as NT 4.0, it is usually set as win2K.

Also check that your drive is set properly.

Hope this helps
        tlindgren

Comment

I wouldn't bother, you are much better off using linux programs such as k9copy or xdvdshrink.

Tim

Comment

Sorry - I asked the question as I didn't know what DVDshrink does.

I would second the suggestion that if you can get a native linux program that will do the same job as well as the windows one, you are better giving those a try.

If you must use DVDshrink, if your dapper setup is the same as mine then I would hazard a guess that you may need to run the application as root to take control of the hardware. Certainly I can only upload video via firewire from my camcorder and burn cds with K3b (although not DVDs) as root, no matter how much fiddling I have done to try to make things work as an ordinary user.

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X