This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's my modem?

I have a Broadxent v.92 PCI 56k fax modem that I use to connect to the net on Windows XP Professional. Half of my drive is Windows, the other half is Kubuntu. I needed to install from a disc in order to get the modem to work with Windows, so I know it's a software modem. The problem is, the driver disc won't work with Kubuntu. Does anyone know where I could get a binary installer for the drivers? Or, if anyone knows how to translate Windows drivers to Kubuntu, I would really appreciate it. Also, if Kubuntu some how did detect my modem, where is it? and how do I get KPPP to use it?

Re: Where's my modem?

Run wvdialconf to find your modem. If Kubuntu picks it up, it will be reported near the end of the output:

found modem on /dev/ttyS4

(for example)

Comment

Nice suggestion, but it didn't work. It said it couldn't find a modem.
      I don't know if this helps or not, but I have a DELL Dimension 2400 computer. I killed Windows XP Pro, cleaned the hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP Pro on only half the hard drive (It's an 80GB) Then I installed from a Kubunutu 6.06 x86 desktop CD that I burned myself. I checked the disk a dozen times before even puting it into the computer. When I put it in, I chose the test CD option and it didn't find any problems. Then I installed it on the remaining 40GB of free space, which to my surprise, didn't eat Windows. I can boot into Windows through a nicely done GRUB menu, which allows me to get online and post in this forum without any trouble. I already tried searching Broadxent's site for Linux drivers and they don't have any. I want to be able to go online through Kubuntu so that my computer doesn't have a huge target painted on it every time I dial out. I have heard that DELL systems are very proprietary. Could it be that Kubuntu can't access the PCI slot that my modem is plugged into? My next stop is the DELL's web site.

Comment

Originally posted by unreal nut
        My next stop is the DELL's web site.
        Not being facetious when I suggest your next stop should be your local computer shop for a new modem. A hardware modem is not that expensive. Your dealer likely won't know, but it's not a bad idea to ask before you buy whether the modem works in Linux ..

Comment

Well, the only stores within walking distance of my house that sell hardware are Wall-Mart, Target, Office Depot, and Best Buy. Whenever I mention Linux, they want to try to sell me Windows XP I've been poking around and I found two interesting entires in KinfoCenter under PCI. They are broken down into lines due to width restrictions (first line of each is too long). Here's the first one:

line 1.
          000:01:04/0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF Data/Fax/
          Voice Modem (worldwide) (rev08)

line 2.
          Subsystem: DIGICOM Systems, Inc.: Unknown device 1634

line 3.
          Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11

line 4.
          Memory at fe9f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

line 5.
          I/O ports at ddf8 [size=8]

and here's the second one:

line 1.
          0000:01:05.0 Modem Intel Corporation FA82537EP 56K V.92 Data/Fax Modem PCI (rev04)

line 2.
          Subsystem: Dell: Unknown: device 1000

line 3.
          Flags: bus master, steppin, medium, devsel, latency 64, IRQ 169

line 4.
          Memroy at fe9ed000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

line 5.
          I/O ports at de00 [size=256]

I would really appreciate it if someone gave me the instructions to get online with KPPP, including web sites, drivers, console commands, whatever. My ISP is PeoplPC and I used the WinXP Conecction Wizard to set up a connection. Under Windows, my two modem are:
          Generic 56k HCF Data/Fax/Modem in COM3
          Intel 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem in COM4

Please help me get one of these to connect to the net under Kubuntu 6.06.

Comment

Working...
          X