This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i setup Wireless card?

I just installed Kubuntu on my computer, the only problem is that it didn't recognize my Wireless card (Liknsys Wireless-G, PCI Model no. WMP54G) and I lack the linux experience to set it up (along wiht my internet in general). Can someone please help?

Re: How do i setup Wireless card?

best solution is ndiswrapper -- take a look at this help page

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

Comment

How can i get NDIS wrapper without internet connection? The instructions are for those using Ubuntu and GNOME so it doesn't really apply to me.

Comment

Also, i tried putting ndiswrapper on my flash drive and it comes up with an error
        file list file 'cdrecord' is missing final newline
        and it won't install... do i have to burn it to a CD? it is less then 60Kb of data (for both ndiswrapper-utils and ndissgtk) which highely in efficient for the use of a cd...

Comment

well as far as I know -- kubuntu is just ubuntu + kde -- and kde has probably nothing to do with ndiswrapper. It should work for you in the same way. It also instructs you if you do not have internet connection. only difference -- you have "adept" package manager instead of "synaptic".

apart from that here is also main wiki page for ndiswrapper --
          http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m....php/Main_Page

this will tell you do download and install from source code. You'll also need windows driver for the card -- I'd recommend downloading it from the company website --

best of luck

Comment

by the way I just found the following information for your card --
            check your version of WMP54G -- and do accordingly --- here they have talked about four versions -- EU, V3,V4,V4.1

# Card: Linksys #[WMP54G-EU] V2, 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G-EU]

* Chipset: Broadcom BCM4306
            * pciid: 14e4:4320
            * Driver: version 3.30.15.0 as on Install CD shipped with card
            * Other: Suse 9.2, updated linux kernel 2.6.8-24.10, Ndiswrapper 010-3 via YAST from Suse install DVD. Stable operation, WEP and Booting/Start-Up works well. Installed according the General Guide and the very good Suse Guide by Andrew M 8^0-meow. (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...index.php/Suse Professional 9.1)
            * Otherebian testing, 2.4.26 kernel: Ndiswrapper from CVS, date 2005.03.04, driver from ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WMP54Gv4_20040415.exe, using WPA with wpa_supplicant (from wpasupplicant .deb package) --- Miguel Filgueiras, mig _AT_ ncc.up.pt

# Card: Linksys #[WMP54G v3], 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G v3]

* Chipset: Broadcom BCM94306
            * pciid: 14e4:4320
            * Driver: The current Linksys driver ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WMP54Gv4_20040415.exe does work well with Ndiswrapper 1.0rc1. Use the driver in WMP54Gv4_20040415/Drivers/WMP54Gv2/bcmwl5.inf.
            * Other: Debian Sarge, linux kernel 2.6.9, SMP, Ndiswrapper 1.0rc1 manual compile. WPA works with wpa_supplicant supplied with Debian (0.2.5), both broadcast and non-broadcast ssid.

# Card: Linksys #[WMP54G v4], 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G v4]

* Chipset: Ralink RT2500
            * pciid: 1814:0201
            * Driver 0: Native GPL Ralink driver in Ubuntu Breezy (rt2500 and rt2500-source packages). Installed the source and manually built with 'make'. Then used Gnome's network configuration to setup the device. Seems to perform as well as Windows version, but haven't tried WEP or WPA. My card was labeled WMP54G (EU), bought in 11/2005.
            * Driver 1: RT2500.inf from the WMP54Gv4 directory on the CD (the bundled CD has both v2 and v4 drivers), or download the drivers straight from Linksys.
            * Other: Debian Sarge, 2.4 kernel, and 128-bit WEP. Works great. Also works with Mandrake 10.1 with the newest versions of Ndiswrapper, not the one included on the installation CD. Note that Ralink has provided the source for an official driver at http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm but I have not tested it yet.

# Card: Linksys #[WMP54G v4.1], 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G v4.1]

* Chipset: Ralink RT61
            * pciid: 1814:0301 and 1814:0302
            * Driver: Don't use driver that ships with card, it didnt work with ndiswrapper. Use the close source driver from Ralink http://www.ralinktech.com. It compiles for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
            * Other: The rt2x00 Open Source Project (http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com) have now a driver - but realy beta.
            * Other: The Ralink driver works great. It is not a plug and play, you need your kernel headers, the appropiate gcc (3.4) but when you can link it together and put it where it loads at startup, it works great. I am using WPA without any problem.

its taken from
            http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...index.php/List

look under linksys

Comment

Would this work?

for some reason it won't let me mount the windows partition of my hard drive thus i can't get to the driver. Could i burn Wine onto a CD, use that with install disc and also burn NDISwrapper on to there and after the windows driver install (on the install CD) go and use NDISwrapper to set it up?

Comment

since you have dual partition -- I'd probably to it this way -- boot in windows -- connect to internet -- get ndiswrapper source + installation info from their release ---- get windows driver from Linksys site -- transfer them to linux site -- by cdrom or by flashdrive -- follow instructions..

about mounting your windows hd-- it may be due to NTFS support not enabled --
                or do the following so that you have at least read access -------

How to mount Windows partitions (NTFS) on boot-up, and allow all users to read only

* Read #How to list partition tables
                How to list partition tables
                sudo fdisk -l

e.g. Assumed that /dev/hda1 is the location of Windows partition (NTFS)
                Local mount folder: /media/windows

sudo mkdir /media/windows
                sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
                gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

* Append the following line at the end of file

/dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

* Save the edited file
                * Read #How to remount /etc/fstab without rebooting

[edit]

Comment

The install instructions make no sense for installing NDISwrapper. how would i enter

Sudo make install while in the Ndiswrapper directory?

Comment

I am using this install info

# Card: Linksys #[WMP54G v4], 54mbps -- [link here|List#WMP54G v4]

* Chipset: Ralink RT2500
                    * pciid: 1814:0201
                    * Driver 0: Native GPL Ralink driver in Ubuntu Breezy (rt2500 and rt2500-source packages). Installed the source and manually built with 'make'. Then used Gnome's network configuration to setup the device. Seems to perform as well as Windows version, but haven't tried WEP or WPA. My card was labeled WMP54G (EU), bought in 11/2005.
                    * Driver 1: RT2500.inf from the WMP54Gv4 directory on the CD (the bundled CD has both v2 and v4 drivers), or download the drivers straight from Linksys.
                    * Other: Debian Sarge, 2.4 kernel, and 128-bit WEP. Works great. Also works with Mandrake 10.1 with the newest versions of Ndiswrapper, not the one included on the installation CD. Note that Ralink has provided the source for an official driver at http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm but I have not tested it yet.

I have the driver from the Ralink site copied to my computer, however i can't find a .inf or .sys file

Comment

One more thing, the directions for getting to my windows partition work fine until

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab then Konsole shows this error

Bash: gksudo: command not found

now what?

Comment

alright -- lets try in the following way -------

1. NTSC read error ------

here the tweaking to go from gnome to kde is required .....
                        gksudo and gedit are both gnome specific >> all you need to do is edit this file
                        /etc/fstab.

use your favourite editor (kate - inbuilt in kde, emacs - my favourite)

try this instead

sudo kate /etc/fstab

it'll ask for password
                        then edit the file and save it
                        should work.........

2. Sudo make install while in the Ndiswrapper directory? >>
                        what it means -- change to Ndiswrapper directory then execute

sudo make install

3. are you sure WMP54G v4 is the right product you have -- it looks there is already linux driver available ------ that's good news -- if all you need is rt2500 driver --you may not need ndiswrapper at all ----- ubuntu has rt2500

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/rt2500

download -- and install --

Comment

Once again problems

I went in and made that new line for /etc/fstab and i try to mount and i get tihs message

[mntent]: Warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

Mount: Only root can mount /dev/hda1

For the driver, i dled the package and put it on my flash drive when i went to install the package i get this:

fileslist fie for package 'cdrecord' is missing final newline

Comment

some help please?

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                              X