Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACPI woes on two machines (& help with an ugly fix)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACPI woes on two machines (& help with an ugly fix)

...Let's call them white box and black box.

I'll concentrate on Suspend-to-RAM for now because it's what I use the most. (What's the difference to Standby and why don't I have both like in SUSE? Not that Standby worked all that well there.)

I'm using kpowersave (are there alternatives? I think apt-get uninstalled a bunch of stuff when I got this).

White box is a box I just inherited, apparently an ASUS A7V-133 with an 800 MHz Duron. Put in 384 MB RAM and a GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

Suspend to RAM usually works, fan stops, screen goes off, power LED blinks and all. Sometimes though it whines about not being able to unload module usb_storage or something, no matter if any USB storage (Lexar 4-in-1 card reader in this case) is mounted or still connected at all. Anything I can do about that, besides leaving the card reader unplugged as much as possible? No USB front panel so that's kinda annoying.

Resume also usually works, except aesthetically. Meaning: the components of the KDE desktop menu bar are invisible until moused over, and the desktop background, window decorations, individual images in websites and other such little bits are just random pixel noise.

I've been playing with /etc/defaults/acpi-resume forever, specifically the "state-saving" lines, but nothing seems to have any effect on that. Sometimes I'm not sure the file even matters at all to (k)powersave?

What made Suspend work at all might have been the acpi_sleep=s3_mode I tacked onto the kernel line in Grub's menu.lst.

Or was it blacklisting the ibm_acpi module that gave me errors?

Or inserting Option "nvAGP" "1" into my xorg.conf, perhaps?

I have no idea why I did any of that except I read it somewhere.

Seems to have helped though, because the system's coming back up and functioning, even if it looks ugly. I can clean up the mess manually every time but I'm wondering: is there a way to automate that? Like, put something in a script that tells KDE to put up new wallpaper and change the window decoration back and forth so it ...er, reinitialises the messed up graphics? Sounds like it should be possible...

(I'll whine about the other computer after poking it some more...)

Re: ACPI woes on two machines (& help with an ugly fix)

Originally posted by abalone
    I've been playing with /etc/defaults/acpi-resume forever, specifically the "state-saving" lines, but nothing seems to have any effect on that. Sometimes I'm not sure the file even matters at all to (k)powersave?
    No, it doesn't, and that pretty much solved this problem.

Comment

Working...
    X