This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu

I am installing Kubuntu on a Pentium III 450Mhz with 224MB of RAM with PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 (ver. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0013.P08). I first tried to boot from cd-rom on the DVD-ROM drive. Wouldn't work so I adjusted BIOS settings placing the DVD-ROM drive as the first boot device. Still did not work so I made a SBM disk with the binary included with Kubuntu and SBM appears to work properly but still will not let me boot from the CD giving me the following error:

Disk Error: 0x0C

I don't know if this is due to the fact that the system has a DVD-ROM Drive and not a CD-ROM. But I would assume not. At any rate, it would appear as if the SBM is detecting the DVD-ROM as a CD-ROM drive. So because of this I opened my box and started to see what kind of hardware I was dealing with and also how the IDE controller setup was arranged.

The IDE controller is an onboard Intel 82371AB/EB PCI BUS MASTER. There is an on board Primary and Secondary IDE slots, and a seperate on board floppy slot. However, the Hard Disk is being ran through an PCI ULTRA ATA/66 controller plugged into one of the PCI expansion slots.

So I don't know if there is a conflict being created here due to hardware setup for the SBM or perhaps the DVD-ROM drive instead of a CD-ROM drive. I just want to install linux ;P If anyone out there can help me out, this newbie could use the help. Thanks.

Re: Installing Kubuntu

This is either bad media, a bad drive, or the media was not seated properly in the drive.  I get this error with SBM once in awhile myself.  I've solved it just by pressing enter again, sometimes by opening and closing the drive, and pressing enter, sometimes by rebooting.  Try all of these .. in that order.  And, be persistent.  I'd say at least three tries on each before giving up.  If your Kubuntu CD doesn't work after all this, put in a different CD and try again.  If SBM boots a different CD, I'd say you need to reburn your ISO.  If the second CD also doesn't boot, you likely have a hardware issue with the drive, or the way its connected.

Comment

Working...
    X