This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Via Envy 24ht cards/ and in mainboards

I recently installed my Chaintech AV-710 into this sys. I was delighted that analog sound worked really beautifully right off the bat with no heavy config. As yet, however, the optical in/out jack does not work (at least for output). (Weak-minded obsessives like myself want complete functionality and perfection.) KMIX does not seem to indicate this jack exists. I hope a simple config trick will work.

I've seen the ALSA documentation on the MadDog Multimedia Entertainer 7.1 card with a similar chip; this documentation is years old, and it probably needs updating (considering that my card did not work by default in Fedora 5 but does in Dapper--something has improved markedly).

I'm a coward and don't want to compile and config that stuff, trusting blindly that it will work and perhaps losing my current functionality (I haven't had good fortune at that primal level). Here is the ALSA link for the MDMM Entertainer 7.1 (quite a lot of config): http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...module=ice1724

In any case, I'll retain the card in the sys for at least this functionality.

Re: Via Envy 24ht cards/ and in mainboards

Well, every time I try optical with this card, the sound stops in both kubuntu and ubuntu (DD). It then causes ubuntu to hang until the card is removed (currently, I'm using a Aopen Cobra AW-850 (C-Media-based) card without incident--the Cobra works reliably in Linux, even with ancient Red Hat 9.1). It seems that the sound drivers become corrupted by attempting to use the optical-out with the Envy.

Optical has only worked for me with Creative "I/O panel" type cards (Audigy Platinum EX and Platinum Live 5.1--beautifully) in Fedora 5 and kubunu/ubuntu. Onboard optical never seems to work, either, using Via K8T800 boards with the AC97 Codec, the Abit KV8PRO 3rd-eye (currently with the Aopen) and Soltek K8TPRO Skt. 754 (currently with the Audigy)); nevertheless, analog sound kept on chugging with these....

I noticed (somewhere in the docs) recently that extra functionality was given to the Envy card, so that's why I tried optical again..... I think Envy only recently has been supported, and some kinks are yet to be worked out. I'll reinstall it again when I have to reformat and use 6-ch analog instead of optical.

Comment

Working...
    X