This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Deskjet won't install Why?

I'm currently running Dapper Drake Live.
    I have a networked HPDeskjet 5550 working with various flavors of windows and also on Mepis, Vector Linux SOHO v5, and PCLinux .92 without any problems.
    I've spent a few hours reading here and tried the following:
    1. ran sudo foomatic-cleanup
    2. gone through Print Manager -> Configure Manager -> CUPS server
    3. tried to work through http://localhost:631/admin
    which gives me an error 413 entity too long and something about 370 characters (I'm not quite sure where it is finding 370 characters because thus far all I've tried to do is print the test page)
    4. read that the GUI doesn't find the driver so I went to /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver and selected my proper driver hpijs.xml
    5. I looked here https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...foomatic+hpijs
    to see if I possibly needed another driver.

Nothing has worked so far. I've gotten the usual error can't load driver or you don't have proper access. I've gotten errors about "cupsdReadClient: Unable to write 1909 bytes to /var/spool/cups/00000010: Bad file descriptor" and "cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!". My last error was unable to create temporary printer.
    It refuses to load the drive and insists on using Local Raw Driver.

Does anyone have any more ideas before I decide that Kubuntu Dapper Drake is not ready for prime time and move it to the bottom of the stack of possible distros to install?

Re: HP Deskjet won't install Why?

I had to face the 'unable to find proper driver or no error' with my HP Laserjet (hpijs driver); I got arount this by selecting first 'other' printer and then by selecting the driver in the printer-add wizard and it then seemed to work.
    Hope it can help.

Comment

Re: HP Deskjet won't install Why?

Thanks. It is worth a try. I'll let you know if it worked.

Comment

Working...
      X