This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help using unsupported digital camera

Hi I just switched from W98 to kubuntu and apparently it seems my 2 little basic digital camera are not supported by this system: Olympus C-120 and Fujifilm Finepix 1400Z ... I know there are pretty old but they perfectly fit my needs and I don't what to change (no money for). Is there any way to make them work or do I need to switch back to Windows ?

best

Re: Help using unsupported digital camera

If funds will allow, you could use an SD card in the camera with a cheap USB card reader/writer plugged into your computer. Just transfer the card from the camera to the card reader/writer to import your pictures.

It works for me.

Comment

Hello

Card readers are supported under linux, if your camara is not supported directly you might need one.

Before that, have you tried to mount your camara as it was a pendrive? It worked for me

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ghotam
        Before that, have you tried to mount your camara as it was a pendrive? It worked for me
        pendrive !!!?? I'll try but I sincerely doubt it will work, I'll keep you informed anyway ...

Camera card readers seems to be really cheap maybe that's the best solution so that I'll be able to read from any camera ...

best

Comment

For what it's worth, my cheap little Kodak digital camera was detected and works wonderfully with digiKam.

My 2c
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by hbbk
            Camera card readers seems to be really cheap maybe that's the best solution so that I'll be able to read from any camera ...
            Camera card reader work pretty well for reading photos ... but card management is not the best : deleting photos create a trash directory and many files in it ... the card need reformat to be usable by camera. So you can't read and delete a single picture. (at least with smartmedia card , I don't know if it has the same pb w other cards). Is there anything I'm doing wrong ?

best

Comment

This is a universal problem, happens on Windoze too, in certain circumstances, with several types of memory card, and with many or even all card readers, and is something to do with the way the card is formatted. If you always format the card in the camera, it should be OK.

I always just download the entire card to the PC, stick it back in the camera, and do either a full erase or a reformat. Again, if you want to delete one picture, do it on the camera.

If I remember correctly the underlying cause is that the cameras use a slightly non-standard FAT format, which reads OK on the PC, but the PC will always attempt to write the standard FAT (or maybe FAT32?) format, which is not supported on the camera.

The reason why standards exist is to avoid this kind of problem, but sadly not everyone, including large companies, follow them exactly.

Comment

Your olympus c120 should boot with no problems. I have the c100 and I just plug it in for it to auto mount. The same should apply to the fuji.

Have you tried mounting your cameras?

Comment

Have you tried:
                  reinstalling or installing the following:
                  hal
                  hal-device-manager
                  hwdb-client

Comment

Working...
                  X