This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed: Sound Card (alsa) "no sound" problem

Like many others, I experienced the problem of no sound after installing Kubuntu 6.0.6 (Dapper) ; in my case I have a Sony Vaio desktop with onboard sound (disabled), a PCI sound card ( Creative PCI128 using the snd-ens1371 driver) and a TV tuner card (ASUS 7135 TVFM) using the saa7134 driver. A cable connects the tuner sound output to the sound card's aux-in jack, but I got no sound. I hadn't had this problem with another distro or earlier versions of Kubuntu.

lsmod showed that Dapper was loading the drivers, snd-ens 1371, saa7134, and saa7134-alsa, but no sound was forthcoming. the files in /proc/asound indicated the saa7134 driver was being assigned to card0 - the default sound output - and the snd-ens1371 as card 1. Editing config file so ens1371 was loaded first *sometimes* changed that order and produced sound in some apps but not in others, notably the TV apps. Sound familiar?

Here're the keys: in the 2.6.15 and newer kernels , the sound portion of saa7134 has been separated out as saa7134-alsa and saa7134-oss. However, saa7134-alsa is designed to access sound from the 713x cards directly through the PCI bus, NOT via the sound card and it's cable connection from the tuner.

My solution was to (1) edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist adding the line "blacklist saa7134-alsa". (because the sound is'nt going to the sound card through the PCI bus. ), and (2) edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, changing one of the last lines to "options snd-ens1371index=0" (substitute your own sound card's driver there). That =0 at the end forces card0 to be assigned to the specified driver. I now have sound in TVtime. KDETV, and xawtv as well as other apps.

Hope this helps.
    Al Preston

Re: Fixed: Sound Card (alsa) "no sound" problem

Thanks for this, but I have a new problem. After following your fix, sound from tv appeared, but the volume on tv is too low. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
    X