This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intel WIFI hp pavilion dv5000 laptop

Just posted request for graphic chip support minutes ago, so here is one for the WIFI that doesn't work too. .

I've also tried latest version of Knoppix. It seems to see the hardware, but no WIFI link happens. I'm running updated version of Dapper on this machine now.

Any tips greatly welcomed!

Best regards.
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: intel WIFI hp pavilion dv5000 laptop

From what I can make out your wifi card is a Broadcom 4318. This requires ndiswrapper to get it work as well as knetworkmanager. Use Adept to install ndiswrapper-untils and knetworkmanager, and then get the Windows driver for your wifi card.

I used the following to get my Broadcom 4318 card working:

Create a new folder in your /home called say "windrivers" or "wifi". Then put the bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys files from the Windows driver in there.

Open the terminal inside the folder and use the following commands.

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i
    This should install the drivers, to check use the following:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    Then use:

Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    To make ndiswrapper start on boot use:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    Last but not least goto:

Code:
    sudo kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    And add at the bottom "Blacklist bcm43xx" with out the quotes, save and exit.

Then go to K menu >Internet and there you will find knetworkmanager this will help you use your wep/wap key if your network uses them.

You may have reboot to get it working but again if you use knetorkmanager you should be up and running.
    Noooooooooobie learning.

Comment

Maple:

THANK YOU! This is really great info and I'd really like to give it a test. Problem is that my laptop came without ANY CD hardcopy so when I wiped out this drive, everything went with it

Would it be possible to send me your files? If not, I'll try a google search for them and hope for the best . . .

Thanks again for the info.

Wishing you well.
      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

also, here's the lspci printout--don't see anything about broadcom. . .
        jaye@jayelap2:~$ lspci
        0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
        0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
        0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
        0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
        0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 01)
        0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
        0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
        0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
        0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
        0000:00:1f.2 0106: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=AHCI (rev 01)
        0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
        0000:06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222 (rev 02)
        0000:08:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8039
        0000:08:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments: Unknown device 803a
        0000:08:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 803b
        0000:08:06.3 0805: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 803c
        0000:08:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1092 (rev 01)
        jaye@jayelap2:~$
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Hi
          I have had a quick look on HP site, and although there are a lot of DV5000 versions, the 1 I looked at had a Broadcom wifi card. Can you check the exact model on the site. If you go to downloads and look at wireless networking, the driver will be listed, as I say the 1 I looked at did say broadcom.

Any way when you have done this check and if it turns out to be a Broadcom card, the driver is avaiable as a RAR file from www.acer.com. (Goto support and downloads) and select an Acer Aspire 3000.

If you extact the file you will end up with the bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys files as well as others. Make sure you get these 2 as there are some with similar names.
          Noooooooooobie learning.

Comment

Hmmm, found a better description of the laptop on the HP site:
            http://tinyurl.com/ko2on

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
            Note sure about this yet, but this URL kinda looks like it might
            be helpful:
            http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

Looks like it will take some digging.

BTW, suspend works on this thing out of the box with kubunu. Also can adjust monitor brightness with power and battery.

Sound input doesn't work (at least with teamspeak).... wish intel would make it easier on the GNU club.

Thanks again.
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

This driver download page any help

There are both Linux drivers and windows you could use with ndiswrapper

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...=2259&lang=eng
              Noooooooooobie learning.

Comment

Hey, good find! Downloaded the README and the driver. Will look into it once I get back to my home this week (working away from home on carpentry job ) . .

Thanks again!

--<br />wishing you well

Comment

Weird, I have the same chipset in my Dell and it worked with Dapper out of the box.

Comment

this is kind of crazy. The WIFI just started working last Monday night. I had turned it on and checked email with modem then shut it down. Later, I turned it back on and FSCK started, but I seen an odd error message. Something like "radio frequency kill switch activated". FSCK caused the system to reboot and I seen the same message on second boot as FSCk was working. Then, once the GUI started, the little blue likght in the middle of the screen started blinking and knetworkmanager icon popped up telling me it found a WIFI base.

I couldn't believe it! I decided to go to another motel that had free WIFI and sure enough, it was working.

Don't ask me why FSCK made it start working, but there's the scoop on the WIFI.

shrug

best regards
                    --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
                    X