X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network (and SMB) printers

I am frustrated!!!

I have two printers on my LAN: an IP printer at 192.168.1.100 and an SMB printer hanging off a Win2K computer. I can get neither one to install under Kubuntu 6.06.

First, does KDEPrinter work at all? I don't think so; I've tried the KDE Printer Wizard and it is blind to both my printers.

Second, let's take the network printer. I can PING it at 192.168.1.100 with no problem. I installed nmap and ran it to discover which ports were open on it. As it turns out only port 80/tcp is open. I don't know how to open any other ports (631?) or if it is necessary to do so.

Third, having given up on KDE Printer Wizard I went to http://localhost:631, the CUPS home page and tried to install the printer here. When it asked for "Device" I selected "Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)". Then it asked for "Device URI" and I didn't know what to choose, so I chose "ipp:/hostname/ipp/ and tried it. I then chose my manufacturer and model and hit "Add printer". It then asked me twice for a "Prompt", my username and password, which I gave it. Then it presented me with a blank page with the single word "Done" in the lower left corner. But no printer was installed.

Fourth, I tried it for my LaserJet 6mp on the parallel port of a Win2K computer on my LAN. This time I chose for "Device" the value "Windows Printer via Samba" and I don't recall what I put for "Device URI", but it went through the same steps as above, asking me for my manufacturer/model/prompt and ended with the same blank page.

Fifth, I have no problem whatsoever in accessing all three of the computers on my LAN, two Win2K and one Kubuntu. And, under Win2K, I can access both printers from either Win2K computer, so I know that the printers are working and that my connections are correct. How I would love to leave Win2k behind...but it works...and Kubuntu printing does NOT work for my situation.

Any help and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Network (and SMB) printers

KDE print wizard has worked well for me, but it does have some quirks. When you say that it's blind to both printers, I wonder what you mean. Did you scan for them in the wizard? If so, did you make sure that you scanned the network and not the localhost (to which the wizard defaults)?

For the SMB printer, did you set it up as a shared printer in Samba? If so, and if the scan in the wizard doesn't show it, then you can add it manually by giving the smb address.

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, randcoop! I did scan for the printer in the wizard, and I did scan the localhost (not the network)! Why is the localhost default when you are trying to install a network printer? In any case, I scanned the network and found the printer. Then I tried to install it as HP Office Jet 7200, but that didn't work; I had to install it as HP Office Jet 7200 + hpijs and it works!! Super!

Now I can start working on the SMB printer. Go into a little more detail about setting it up as a shared printer in Samba, and adding it manually by giving the smb address. Is this the IP address of the Windows 2K computer, to which the LaserJet 6mp is attached? I'll play around with this until I hear back from you. If history means anything (I am a retired telephone employee who was responsible for a series of DEC VAX minicomputers, and when I would call for technical support, I would generally figure it out for myself before technical support called me back!), I'll have it up and working before too much longer.

Again, thank you, thank you. It would not have occurred to me that the scan was not scanning the network and couldn't find the printer because of that.

Comment

Sure enough, randcoop, it's not been 5 minutes since I left the previous reply and I've got the smb printer installed and working. I don't know why, though, since the scan did not detect it. I entered the workgroup(?) and server and printer name, but scan didn't show it. I went ahead anyway and completed the installation, and tested it, and it worked! Sometimes it's not necessary to understand why, just to understand that it somehow works! And I'm satisfied with the latter right now. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to have helped. I can't explain the default scan of the localhost. I guess that it is because there is no way for the system to know what network to scan, so the localhost is really nothing more than a placeholder.

I had a similar experience at one point with the smb address, which is why I suggested that you might have to add it manually.

Samba remains imperfect. I find that I sometimes have to restart it just to get all the networked computers to see each other.

But I am happy that it worked out for you.

Comment

Working...
          X