X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux on D955XBK board w/ ICH7R chipset

Hi all,
    I am trying to install Kubuntu on a home-grown kompy. The whole thing is built on Intel Desktop Board D955XBK. Kubuntu (my favorite distro ), as well as most other Linuxes that I have tried, have a problem with the HDD. It simply reports that the system has no HDD, or in the better case, reports three separate disks. On this board the disks are controlled from the ICH7R chipset, which provides (almost) hardware RAID5 capability, which I have turned on.
    I have not been able to find much help on the Internet. I myself am not enough of a hacker to be able to figure out where to go from here...
    Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I will share my fidnings and stumblings for others to follow or avoid, if there are any.
    TIA, SiKing.

Re: Linux on D955XBK board w/ ICH7R chipset

Personally, I no longer use Intel hardware because of their active and vociferous support for Digital Rights Management, but you're certainly entitled to do so. Check out this HowTo at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki. The Raid5 stuff is at the bottom. You may be disappointed, so read that first.

Comment

Thanx for the link. You're right, I am dissapointed.
      I remember once finding a site (that I cannot find again) that someone has done it on a Gentoo system. Although I suspect they got only RAID0 or RAID1 working. I would ideally like to get the RAID5 - it's why I bought the damn thing in the first place.
      In a sick twist of fate, I don't have the time to research this right now. Maybe by the time I get around to it, something will already be out. {fingers crossed}.
      SiKing

Comment

If it aint true hardware raid, it probably will never work.

Comment

Originally posted by devnull73
          If it aint true hardware raid, it probably will never work.
          That sounds like a dare. I wish I had the cowhow to be able to figure this out.

Comment

Working...
          X