This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No Sound .....

Running Kubuntu 6.0.6 and installed Gnome desktop. Up to and after the install sound worked just fine.

I changed my mind and uninstalled the Gnome packages and now everything else works but no sound. HW detected but nothing happens.

Please help - thanks!
    [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Re: No Sound .....

Have you tried kmix settings ? Maybe gnome mixer (gmix ?) put volume off
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Thanks but mixer is ok.
      [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
        Sorry I was quick to respond without really investigating it. Loaded the CD version and noted settings. Set them in installed version and everything back to normal.
        Thanks!

Comment

No sound under regular users

I dont hear sound under regular users and KMix is useless, seeing it does not see audio devices.

This issue happens *** only under regular users ***, not under administrator account.

I' ve installed Kubuntu 6.06 from scratch in a new HD.
          My sound card is...
          Code:
          admin@sirius:/etc$ cat /proc/asound/cards
          0 [V8235     ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
                     VIA 8235 with ALC655 at 0xe400, irq 201
          Solution:

Probably this is not the correct solution, but is working fine for a impatient end user.

Code:
          chmod o+rw /dev/audio /dev/dsp*
          chmod o+rw /dev/cdrom
          chmod o+rw /dev/snd/control*
          chmod o+rw /dev/snd/pcm*
          chmod o+rw /dev/snd/seq
          chmod o+rw /dev/snd/timer

Comment

Working...
          X