This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fglrx just won't work.

Hi all. Kubuntu noob here, but no stranger to linux. I've been running some flavour of PCLOS or Mepis 100% for the past 3 years or so, and have used linux since Mandrake 7 was the hot ticket.

My card is a Radeon 9250 TI128, and the fglrx driver worked great in PCLOS before I decided to try the new Mepis RC3 ... which led me to my stack of Kubuntu cds when RC3 wouldn't give me proper access to my second hard drive.

I read numerous threads on these forums, and followed the directions in the wiki for installing fglrx through Adept. I still had video, but got a long page of errors when running fglrxinfo or glxgears from Konsole. I noticed that the wiki mentioned opengl being broken for R200 (below 9500) cards. Does this mean I'm SOL until a new ATi driver comes out and fixes the problem?

I'm going to get method 1 one more crack from the command line ... and if it all goes bad, I can always re-restore my old xorg.conf file.

Re: fglrx just won't work.

On an up note, upgrading from the i386 kernel to the k7 kernel went FLAWLESSLY!! w00t!! Adept is a nice little manager. I think I'm learning to prefer it to Synaptic after just a couple of days!

Comment

Originally posted by Digita
      I read numerous threads on these forums, and followed the directions in the wiki for installing fglrx through Adept.  I still had video, but got a long page of errors when running fglrxinfo or glxgears from Konsole.  I noticed that the wiki mentioned opengl being broken for R200 (below 9500) cards.  Does this mean I'm SOL until a new ATi driver comes out and fixes the problem?
      Are you experiencing this:
      https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu....15/+bug/47371 ?

If so...you can find a workaround here:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185033

The workaround is replacing the misbehaving 'libGl.so.1.2' with an older version so make a backup just in case

Comment

Yep, that's the bugaroo. Where would I find an older version of libGL.so.1.2? Oh, nevermind, there it is in /usr/lib/ ... I'll give it another shot. Worst case I uninstall it and reboot ... again. Thought I was done with reboots back in XP ... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Digita
          Where would I find an older version of libGL.so.1.2?
          You can download the older (working) version from a link on that thread at the ubuntuforums

Worst case I uninstall it and reboot ... again
          I'd think restarting the X-server is enough, you probably don't need to reboot

Comment

HAHA!! Replacing libGL.so.1.2 with the older version linked in the forum worked perfectly - but restarting X wasn't enough. It still threw errors. Rebooting did the trick.

display: :0.0 screen: 0
            OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 Series DDR Generic
            OpenGL version string: 1.3.1072 (X4.3.0-8.25.18)

SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

I knew if I piddled around with it long enough it would work. Now to find some other as of yet undiscovered things to fix or F-up. Then time to BBQ some steaks ... LOL

Comment

New silly question ... now that fglrx is working, is there any reason that the xgl version of xorg shouldn't work too?

Comment

Working...
              X