This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get compiler packages

i have installed kubuntu couple of days ago. now the problem is to install my modem which is intel5628 a modem of intel536ep series.the problem is this i can not install the packages required before the istallation. the "build-essential" and linux-headers-ARCH packages. there are no packages on install cd but they were in last version of ubuntu i mean ubuntu breezy 5.10. by seaching a deb package in found names build essential but it is not installing correctly every time. i tried the old cd i.e. 5.10 but the result was same.
    make clean command is not working due to this problem. any one can tell from where i download the packages for kubuntu 6.06 and would they work properly??
    waiting anxiously for any suggestions.
    Regards
    True_Friend

Re: To get compiler packages

Both Kubuntu 6.06 Alternate and Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop CDs have build-essential on them.

Pop the CD in your drive.

Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install build-essential
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

thnx for this kindness.
      What do u mean by "Alternate CD". I have recieved one kind of cds only which are install cds.is there any other kind of cds for Kubuntu.
      can u tell how can i get the other one i mean the "linux-headers ARCH"
      plz plz plz tell me as soon as possible. otherwise i was thinking to get back ubuntu 5.10.

Comment

If build-essential is not on your CD, then go into System > Adept Package Manager > Manage Repositories. Right Click on the greyed out URL's beginning with deb. Don't worry about the ones farther down the list that are unsupported. Then Fetch Updates. Everything you need should be in the list. If not goto the command prompt and do sudo apt-get install build-essential. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
          If build-essential is not on your CD, then go into System > Adept Package Manager > Manage Repositories. Right Click on the greyed out URL's beginning with deb. Don't worry about the ones farther down the list that are unsupported. Then Fetch Updates. Everything you need should be in the list. If not goto the command prompt and do sudo apt-get install build-essential. Good luck.
          If I understood the original post correctly, true_friend needs the packages to get online...so he/she can't get the packages from the repositories :P

Originally posted by true_friend
          What do u mean by "Alternate CD". I have recieved one kind of cds only which are install cds.is there any other kind of cds for Kubuntu.
          There are 2 versions of kubuntu CDs:
          1. Desktop CDs (which is a LiveCD with a graphical installer)
          2. Alternate Install CD (text mode installer)

can u tell how can i get the other one i mean the "linux-headers ARCH"
          linux-header packages for different ARCHitectures should also be available on both CDs

Comment

Working...
          X