This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mounting problem

Firstly this was not a problem in breezy badger.
    First problem:Whenever I plug in my ipod it shows a different mount time each time. sometimes it is sda1,or sda2, or sda3 and on. I have it so the ipod mounts automatically but it can not if the mount point changes each time it is connected.

Second problem: When I manually mount it I cannot write to the ext2 partition even as root. Yes, I am using ipod linux but it has nothing to do with that. I get the cursed could not write to file: file name dot whatever and it gives me the option to cancel. It does write the file but it is blank and has nothing in it. In terminal I get the Input/output error. It works for vfat but not ext.

Re: mounting problem

ext2 partition? you install ipodlinux on it?

the reason you get the extra mounts i.e., hde1, hde2, and so forth, is because it wasn't cleanly unmounted and those mount points are stored in memory.

your problems sound like common issues i have seen with ipodlinux, and that is the reason i dropped ipodlinux as it is pretty much useless compared to either the default apple os, or rockbox.

when you go to unmount the ipod, right click the ext2 icon on the desktop and do the safe removal feature so it unmounts cleanly. that should stop the hde1, hde2 and so on.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

I suspect that the sda,b,c,d stuff has nothing to do with the fact that the fact that you're mounting an ipod, but rather, it has to do with the fact that you have more than 1 usb thingie and that you plug and unplug in a different order for each boot. If this is the case, I'll be happy to steer you to the way to solve the problem with udev.

Comment

I read once an article about how to set estatic mounting point with udev. I don't remember wher, but you can do a search for it. I think it was on Tux Magazine, I'm not sure . . . Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          If this is the case, I'll be happy to steer you to the way to solve the problem with udev.
          Even if it isn't his case, could you post some info on this?

Comment

If it's Ext2, just change ownership of the drive to you.

Let's say, for example, that it mounts to /media/sde1

Code:
            sudo chown -R username:username /media/sde1
            Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

@Dr. S: http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html This shows how to use udev to mount all sorts of things (USB devices, CD/DVD drives, network cards, cameras, PDAs) automagically. It is not for the faint of heart, however. It requires a moderate amount of Linux experience and vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
              X