This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powernowd and cpu freq

I've just started to use Kubuntu Dapper on my AMD64 X2 3800 system. I've been running Breezy on a laptop for a while and got used to checking the CPU frequency with a "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and then changing the frequency to suit my needs by running cpufreq-set.

My problem is that on my X2 system, running the ubuntu K8 smp kernel, /proc/cpuinfo reports that both cores run at 1000MHz instead of 2GHz. That stays the same despite the CPU load.

I know that Dapper uses powernowd to set the CPU frequency, and it is in the list of daemons that is started at boot up, but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Should I tell it to allow the CPUs to use their max frequency and is their some conf file I can edit so that I don't need to change any settings every time I boot up?

Thanks in advance!
    ZX_SA

Re: Powernowd and cpu freq

Ok, I've managed to get the desired effect with powernowd by using the following params:

powernowd -d -v -v -v -n -m 1 -u 50 -l 20

Basically the d and v's aren't required - that's for testing purposes. The -n tells powernowd to also calculate the effect of nice'd processes. And setting a very low upper limit of CPU usage assures that powernowd is very quick to give more MHz when processes are busy.

Now I still just need a way of storing this configuration so that I don't have to worry about it after each boot up. Any ideas?

Comment

maybe write a script for /etc/init.d?
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

There is an existing script and I don't really want to modify it. The script does mention a non-existing file "/etc/default/powernowd" for storing default parameters, but I have no idea what the format should be

Comment

Hi,

For example, I've set in this file :
          OPTIONS="-m 2 -s 10000"

And it's working well

Hope it helped.

Comment

Thanks! That works brilliantly!

Comment

Working...