This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Kubuntu to use swap partition

I have have just finished changing around partitios, etc..., so my partitioning currently looks like
    <windows><kubuntu><new swap partition>
    and I booted back after doing all this thinking all was fine, when suddeny I noticed on my "Aero All-in-One" SuperKarama theme, where it usally said <whatever> of 941 Mb (the new partition is 3.someithing GB) said 0 of 0 Mb, so I don't think Kubuntu is using the swap partion, can someone tell me how to get it to please?

Re: Getting Kubuntu to use swap partition

Hi,

Did you check with:
    sudo fdisk -l ?

Comment

I've just tried it now, and got:

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hda1 1 6605 53054631 7 HPFS/NTFS
      /dev/hda2 14089 14593 4056412+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
      /dev/hda3 * 6606 14088 60107197+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Comment

Need Getting Kubuntu to use swap partition working please

Can somebody please help I still have the problem , and it's really annoying because I can't multi-task on my PC incase it grinds a halt. >

Comment

In a console, type:
          cat /proc/swaps
          If your swap partition isn't listed there, type:
          sudo /sbin/mkswap /dev/hda2
          WARNING: that above command formats the partition as swap. Make sure you get the right partition

sudo /sbin/swapon /dev/hda2
          after that, if you cat /proc/swaps you should see the partition listed.

Comment

Linux does not always use swap as it is very efficient in using memory. This does depend on how much memory you have. The more you use swap the slower your system will be.

I have 512mb and can have a multiple of processes running like Oo, gimp ect with no swap being used.

Comment

Originally posted by coolclassic
              Linux does not always use swap as it is very efficient in using memory. This does depend on how much memory you have. The more you use swap the slower your system will be.
              True, but it should show the available swap space even if it's not used

Originally posted by rfdparker2002
              <windows><kubuntu><new swap partition>
              and I booted back after doing all this thinking all was fine, when suddeny I noticed on my "Aero All-in-One" SuperKarama theme, where it usally said <whatever> of 941 Mb (the new partition is 3.someithing GB) said 0 of 0 Mb, so I don't think Kubuntu is using the swap partion, can someone tell me how to get it to please?
              Also check your /etc/fstab, there should be a line for swap, like:
              /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0

Comment

Originally posted by marble
                In a console, type:
                cat /proc/swaps
                If your swap partition isn't listed there, type:
                sudo /sbin/mkswap /dev/hda2
                WARNING: that above command formats the partition as swap. Make sure you get the right partition

sudo /sbin/swapon /dev/hda2
                after that, if you cat /proc/swaps you should see the partition listed.
                Thanks for the help, my superkarmaba and cat /proc/swaps shows it now, though it does not show up in fstab yet, but that is probably because I haven't rebooted yet.

Comment

You'll probably have to add it to /etc/fstab manually, as kubicle recommended.

Comment

Working...
                  X