X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Drivers

Ok...

Which one do I install? I go to adept and there several of them.
    and then how do I use it?

I have Geforce 7800GT

Re: Nvidia Drivers

The first thing you have to do is to run a konsole command. Start a konsole (K>System>Konsole), then type "uname -r". Copy down the result, you'll need it for the next step. Now start Adept and search for the package called "linux-restricted-modules-TheResultsOfTheUnameCommand". Install it, Then install the package "nvidia-glx". Now go back to the Konsole and enter this command: "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable". This ought to set you up.

Comment

just a note, the new nvidia driver in the repository uses nvidia-xconfig, not nvidia-glx-config. nvidia-glx-config are for those who installed the legacy driver.

A good guide for this: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

To be more precise, nvidia-xconfig is a tool to "manipulate X config files". It is a Universe package and is not installed when you install the nvidia-glx driver package

nvidia-glx-config, part of the nvidia-glx driver package is a script that basically switches the "nv" driver to 'nvidia"

Comment

Oh I see. I'm sorry for the confusion.
          Anyway, the guide from the Ubuntu Documentation Storage Facility (UDSF) that I linked to did indicate to enable the universe and multiverse repositories.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            The first thing you have to do is to run a konsole command.  Start a konsole (K>System>Konsole), then type "uname -r". Copy down the result, you'll need it for the next step.  Now start Adept and search for the package called "linux-restricted-modules-TheResultsOfTheUnameCommand".  Install it, Then install the package "nvidia-glx".  Now go back to the Konsole and enter this command: "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable".  This ought to set you up.
            Why not just run this? It's a little less confusing.

Code:
            sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$( uname -r ) nvidia-glx

Comment

@shifted: actually, for someone not familiar with the terminal, or is new to using commamds on the terminal, that command is more confusing, scary, and mysterious. Spelling it out for the user step by step gives them the chance to digest the process in small bits.

Of course, if the person asking is someone who has been using Linux for quite some time, your method is indeed faster and more efficient.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
              X