X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute silence from VIA 8237

Hi.

I just installed Kubuntu 6.06 (64-bit) onto my desktop, which runs off a Soltek KT8Pro Motherboard and an AMD64 chip. The thing is, it refuses to play any sound whatsoever.

1. The sound works and is hooked up right, as verified through booting into Windows XP

2. Kmix shows all sliders unmuted and turned up

3. The sound hardward shows to have detected the sound chip correctly and has no apparent issues with it.

4. Output: $ lsmod | grep -i

bison@bison-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep -i snd
    snd_seq_dummy 5508 0
    snd_seq_oss 38372 0
    snd_seq_midi 11456 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 9984 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 64088 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    snd_via82xx 32936 1
    gameport 19216 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_ac97_codec 110268 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_ac97_bus 4096 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 59424 0
    snd_mixer_oss 20608 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_mpu401_uart 10368 1 snd_via82xx
    snd_rawmidi 31648 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
    snd_seq_device 11280 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _rawmidi
    snd_pcm 104712 4 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,saa7134_alsa,snd_pcm_os s
    snd_timer 29064 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 13968 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
    snd 68576 16 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,saa 7134_alsa,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_mpu401_uar t,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 13216 1 snd

bison@bison-desktop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 1: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
    Subdevices: 4/4
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
    card 1: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

One possibility I've heard is that potentially, my Logitech USB Webcam w/Mic might be mistaken somehow as a soundcard. If that's the case, I've no idea how to verify it or how to correct it.

As far as skill level with linux goes, I know how to and am comfortable with editing config files, but not skilled enough to troubleshoot them. In otherwords, I know enough to mess up the OS if I go tinkering, but not enough to fix it.

Any help from any one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Re: Absolute silence from VIA 8237

additional info:

Tried to run amarok from the terminal (to see if sound was available to root). This is the output:

bison@bison-desktop:~$ sudo amarok
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    Major opcode: 147
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    amaroK: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
    amaroK: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow
    ScimInputContextPlugin()

not sure if that provides useful information, but it seemed to point to something being amiss.

Again, any help is appreciated

Comment

I've been mulling this over some more....I have installed an ASUS FM TV Tuner PCI card which Kubuntu is recoginzing as SAA7134. It's listing it as an input only device, but I'm wondering if somehow it's conficting with my onboard sound and thus is causing the problem. Does anyone know if this could be the case, how to confirm such, and if so, how to resolve it short of physically removing the card?

Comment

Update: I found a "solution". By opening my computer, I pulled out my TV card and unplugged my Web Camera, then rebooted. Kubuntu then FINALLY figured out my soundcard. I then shutdown, re-inserted my TV card, and there it was, working sound. I've not yet hooked back up my webcam to see if things stay fixed.

I say "solution" in so much as this is a terrible fix. A desktop user should not have to pull hardware to force proper prioritizing of hardware. Further, most users wouldn't be able to figure out the problem to begin with, as most things looked correct on the surface (correctly identified hardware and whatnot).

Oh, and thanks for all the help guys. 37 views, 5 days, and not so much as a single reply. Appreciate it.

Comment

I was one of the 37 people who viewed your post. I couldn't help you with your problem so didn't reply. You would have 36 other people who have done the same thing. Glad you sorted it out, though.
          Lowey
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
          X